Kicker ZR1000 need help identifying part

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me what this part is? ( see attached photo). The small trace it is connected to (closet to the front of the board) is the RCA grounds. My best guess is, it is a decoupling capacitor.

Attachments

• 20190211_155704.jpg
    20190211_155704.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190211_155753.jpg
    20190211_155753.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 50
Just as Perry mentioned, it is a fuse. They were an add on when we started seeing amps return with blown input IC's. TL072'S If I remember right. I don't recall what caused the IC's to blow. If the fuse is blown, and none are available I would just bypass the fuse. It's been sometime since I worked on these amps, but I've replaced more than I can count on my fingers and toes!

A couple of notes.

The transformers in these amps tended to short unless you have one with the transformer heavily supported in silicone. If they short, they will generally drive 12v back up the RCA shields.

Also, if a bridging speaker wire shorts to ground, it will do the same thing.

The fuse helps protect against fire and/or damage to the head unit.

The secondary center tap is connected to the annular ring of the screw hole that mounts it in the heatsink. If you use a metal screw and the heatsink contacts the vehicle chassis, it will cause engine noise. Using a nylon screw will prevent this.

We used to see a lot of shorted transformers right out of the box. The running joke was to grab a transformer and put it aside, then grab another to use as a replacement.That way the better your odds that your not installing a shorted transformer.

If I knew then what I know now!

Great Amps, but they had their quirks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.