Once again need help fixing Orion HCCA 225 Digital Reference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I mentioned, I wasn't 100% sure that area was effected by the heat.

I blocked off the lower portion of the amp with a piece of card board and applied heat to the rest of the amp, including the area near the FET's. It had no effect.

I then hit the 494 area and the voltage once again went high on pin 4.

I had a similar problem with high pin 4 voltage shutting down drive on a BTA 2100, which is very similar. On the BTA 2100 there is a voltage divider that comes from 5V ref to pin 4. One of the components in the divider had been knocked from the board before I got it. The pads had one square and one round for it so I thought it would be either a diode or capacitor. I installed a 2.2uf tantalum cap in place and had the same symptom - drive for a few seconds then shutdown as voltage came up. I pulled the cap and looked at the pull-down resistor value, it is 10kohm, pin 4 should be low so I installed 1Mohm resistor - Pin 4 volts were under 0v1 and the drive was restored and amp works good.

See if there is a voltage divider from Vref. If there is, look at value of pull-down resistor. The divider should be made so pin 4 receives 50-100mV from 5V, a 1Mohm feed resistor worked well with the 10kohm pull-down for my amp.

This may help, it may not. This is how I was able to fix my high pin 4 voltage on an Orion made amp of similar design and size.

Last edited:
I found the heat sensitive component, the cap that is in circuit with pin 4 but it was not the entire problem. While the cap was out of circuit I checked power on the pad and it was still high. Following the trace I found two solder pads that where ever so slightly touching, a diode and resistor next to each other(see photos for reference). De-soldered and re-soldered both. Pin 4 voltage is now down where it should be and amp is powering up as it should with resistor removed.

Attachments

• 20190205_003541-5.jpg
    20190205_003541-5.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190205_200938-5.jpg
    20190205_200938-5.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.