JL audio 450/4 troubleshooting questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just obtained a jl audio 450/4 for repair and it's very strange, it works and plays until it warms up and then it starts cutting out. Does anyone have any known problem areas on these amplifiers. I thested through the driver cards transistors and they test ok in curcuit. I didn't remove them so I don't know if some a leaking. Are the four blue and yellow potentiometers for the bias? Can they be turned down some and possible fix the issue?

ok, ill check th eexact amout of current but it was pretty high. The amplifier itself works for a awhile i thought it was ok. After playing for about 5 min, it warmed up and sound was dim, and one of the channels stopped working. I pulled the outputs and dont find them at fault. Do the irf540N work in these amplifiers?
I tested through the opamps for voltage, All seem to have power. Someone has replaced the one of the power supply's
Rail, regulated, voltage is present. Ill go through the steps for the other amp with this one and see what i can find.

This powesomeone changed this power supply previously, looks like eBay 65n15's and I don't know if the drivers were reused but they failed, the npn&pnp uy/wy sot89 transistors. I don't have many sot89 transistors in stick. Only the transistors mentioned above which are only 60v and bcx51

Thise drivers were shorted. Whatever the problem is that caused them to over heat and short is from channel 1 it has a very bad noise on that channel I'll look at the drivers and outputs for that channel. What were the original sencondary power supply mosfets used in these amplifiers?

Ok sothe amplifier is back together. And well when I apply a 1khz test tone at say 2v of input and even touch the speaker terminal with the scope it draws current, more than the 16amps my power supply can supply. No shorts I changed the drivers and power supply. Still just seems like there is an issue. I'll try a different source for input.

ok so the rear driver cards A1070/C3207 Driver cards transitors reach a high tempature of around 130F and the front cards are only reaching tempatures of 89F, one rear left channel has a low pitched hum as well. All three lights are lit up on the cards.
Would this be the drivers themselves or am i looking at it incorrectly?

Its very well possible. The cards are not to one channel they are just positioned in the rear closest to the mosfets one for each front and rear, either both left right channels.
I can verify the amount of rail, but since they seem to be from both front and rear left channels.
Theres also the low pitch hum on the left front
And the switch for the crossover makes a very loud audible pop when swich.
I will go get the board print locations to be more concise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.