Speaker wire question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some speaker wire not paying attention . It’s CCA wire I know if you run CCA as power wire it gives you nothing but problems .

Wondering if CCA is ok to use for speaker wire or should I just throw it in the trash ?

It would be used for wiring subs to the amp and the front door speakers to an amp in the trunk

I wouldn't use it, but that is only based on blindly following what I've been told. I just want to mention that the wire going to your subs needs to be heavier than your front speaker wire. I have some low power subs and I'm using 12ga. What kind of power are you running to your subs?

If you use it, check the temperature of the terminal blocks after driving your amp hard for a while. If there is no heating, there is no problem. You will need to do this on a regular basis. Once copper wire is properly tightened, you're done. CCA needs to be re-checked.

Side note. For a 50-w/ch amp using 14g (plenty of current capacity for this low power) wire, the CCA will be fine. It's when you have a larger amp that produces significantly higher current that causes a problem with connections that have high resistance at the connection point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.