Rodek RA2150 need to set the bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just rebuilt this amp with all new caps.

I need to set the bias voltage/current.
Anyone that could help that knows this amp?
There are 2 trim pots and I see a DC Test point but I have no clue after that.
thanks

T2sq48x.jpg

CfrlltZ.jpg

Some images of the recap for interest

Dws3VtL.jpg

O8ZrnyO.jpg

zb7qBr5.jpg

KWQ4HIH.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I will try it.
I noticed when turning up the bias, I get a swooshing noise on my ham radio thats close to it.
Maybe Mr Zed will stop by with a factory method.
If not this will have to do.
There are 6 tip35/36 per side. Maybe a 100ma each for an extra 1200ma over the base current?
Should I ground the line inputs?
Shound I have any load on the speaker outputs?
I will report back after I wake up later this evening. (dont ask)

thanks!

Drive each channel at 20KHz into a 2 ohm load with 2 volts across each speaker output (1 watt)
Set bias trimmer CCW
Insert a 2 ohm 10w resistor in series with your main +12v power lead. This will prevent blowing up the amplifier should you accidently over bias a channel.
The 2 ohm resistor will NOT inhibit the ability of the amplifier to drive 1w/ch.
Set your scope to the appropriate time base and Y sensitivity.
Slowly turn each bias trimmer until you see the notch JUST disappear.
That's it.
Regards
Steve Mantz
Is that a square wave or sine?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Seeing as you are impatient :)

If it is bias current you are adjusting then set it on a low amplitude sine signal (with load attached to amp) and adjust until the crossover distortion just disappears.

Use something like 1 to 5kHz and an amplitude of just a couple of volts peak to peak.

Crossover distortion looks like this.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-01-13 124351.jpg
    Annotation 2019-01-13 124351.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 79
Am I looking for VDC at the output?
Should the scope be ac or dc?

I see a step down on the top and a heel bump on the bottom that seems to flatten out about mid travel on the bias pot.

:boggled:

EaAo738.jpg

Seeing as you are impatient :)

If it is bias current you are adjusting then set it on a low amplitude sine signal (with load attached to amp) and adjust until the crossover distortion just disappears.

Use something like 1 to 5kHz and an amplitude of just a couple of volts peak to peak.

Crossover distortion looks like this.

Ok I think I'm going way past the rounded wave to a square looking one.

Last edited:
OK I used 2vac on the speaker, sine wave at 2khz.
there I could see the sine wave with a bump more like this edited image

fuVB48s.jpg

I turned the bias up to just before mid way and that lump just went away.
20khz seemed to be hard to get any reading like this.
I hope 2khz is enough.
If not I can try 5khz next

Ok I did 5khz. Bigtime stressing out.
Both trimmers are set to about 11-11:30.
Both lumps "just smoothed out" to make a smooth slope.

I hope its good enough. I'm pretty stressed about this.
The amp is unobtainium.

thanks for all your help I hope this is enough.
I'll check back tomorrow night before I install it for any reasons I screwed up.:(

1o7v4Km.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like you've got the hang of it. Low amplitude and high (ish) frequency tends to show the distortion the most.

Adjusting to the point where the distortion just disappears means that you are playing safe by leaving the bias current low. That's much better than setting it to high which would cause the amp to run hotter and also make the whole amp more prone to 'thermal runaway' where bias increases on its own with temperature... and so on... resulting in a major failure.

So enough to eliminate the distortion but no more.

With no signal there should be no significant DC voltage across the speaker. Less than 100 millivolts is fine.

Well the amp works and now with the bias set properly, it produces more rock & roll bass and more bass overall.

The amp was about 45C and I could smell the magic smoke residue heating up and I got nervous. Theres a yellow film of it on the side cover that faces up.
I was pulling over every 5 mins to feel the amp.
It was stone cold till I played holiday and a good level and thats when it was about 45C and the baked on residue was emitting some odor when I smelled up close.

I hate that smell of burning PCB in the morning.

I'll test some more but like I said, this amp has seen enough and needs to be behind a desk.

I did feel the whole amp and the section with the power supply seems to be the warmest.
Is that normal?
If not what would make the power supply freak out?

This is 2 ohms x2 also.
Maybe 2 ohms is too much for this amp?

thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.