JBL GTO 7001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm working on above mentioned amplifier. Amp doesnt turn on, faint protection light is pulsing. PSU and output fets test ok, no shorts. I did notice the 7812 regulator gets extremely hot, I replaced it and the new one gets extremely hot as well. No signs of visible damage.

Some pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I would assume that mF is uF.

This amp has 4 3300uF caps, Install two good 3300uF caps (one per rail) and see if the rail voltage holds steady and remains clean. If one 3300uF per rail is good enough, two 2200s per rail would be good enough.

That said, it would be best to find a source for the correct value caps.

If you use the 2200uF caps, clamp all heatsink mounted components, run the amp hard and monitor the temperature of the caps. Something strange may be happening in the amp. It's common to see the PS side OR the rail caps fail but to have both fail is odd.

For the PS primary caps, you want 'low ESR' and 105C caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.