Autotek sm3500.1 issue!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay so I got this amp in for repair all semiconductors tested fine so I hooked it up to a low current power supply. I found a voltage regulator that went bad and a couple of 104 ceramic disc capacitor that had been broken. After fixing the obvious problems the amp comes on I have rail2rail oscillation the amp produces audio and sounds great but after a minute or two the relay will kick off and shut down the output switching and it doesn't matter if the amp is lower volume or high volume. It happens regardless sometimes playing longer but eventually the relay kicks off after poking around a little bit I found that on the output driver card if I touch Q4 which is a 2D sot23 transistor it will kick the relay off as soon as I touch the base leg of Q4!. I can shut the amp down power it backup and as soon as I touch Q4 it instantaneously kicks the relay off I replaced Q4 and Q2 because there connected to one another but this had no affect the issue persist. I haven't had this specific output driver card in before although it looks similar and has similar parts that other generic output boards use. I was thinking of changing the ir21844s driver ic but I don't know because when the amp plays the low side waveforms look great no issues and it sounds great so I don't think it's the driver IC but I could be wrong. Please help.
PICS OF AMP & BOARD BELOW TO HELP!

Attachments

• 20181215_020710.jpg
    20181215_020710.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
The values of the resistors on those transistor is so high that it wouldn't take much to cause them to conduct.

Does the board have bad solder connections? In the photo, R31, R20 and R23 look bad but it could be shadows.

If you monitor the output of the LM293 (black probe on the negative rail), is that what's triggering the protection?

Perry Babin it does seem to be something with the LM239 when amp is working correctly on output A I get 0.060vdc and when it kicks off on output A I get 0.002vdc then on output B when amp is working I get 11.79vdc and when amp kicks off on output B I get 0.002vdc. Also I noticed on inverted b and non inverted b if I touch either one of those pins with the probe it kicks the amp off instantaneously.

Last edited:
With q4 removed amp plays fine and didn't shutoff threw 3_4 songs. Below are the lm293 voltage readings.

Pin1 -46.95vdc. Pin1 0.065vdc.
Pin2 -34.67vdc. Pin2 10.20vdc.
Pin3 -41.04vdc. Pin3 5.959vdc.
Pin4 -47.02vdc. Pin4 0.000vdc.
Pin5 -46.08vdc. Pin5 0.499vdc.
Pin6 -46.67vdc. Pin6 0.007vdc.
Pin7 -35.02vdc. Pin7 11.96vdc.
Pin8 -35.06vdc. Pin8 11.97vdc.
12v ground ref. Negative rail ref.

Last edited:
Hold on i just notice you said if you touch the resistor to pin8 (remove from pin 4). In the pic the resistor is on pin1. Do I have the light and resistor backwards? I have the resistor on the positive leg of the led connected to pin1 and negative leg of the led directly on pin4.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.