Big bass, small real estate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that sounds like a contradiction. If you look at the photo below, I had built these killer enclosures a few years ago. They're made with 12" sch 40 PVC and 1.5" of MDF on each end epoxied in. I had 10" CV-R drivers and ran them at 4ohms from a Kenwood amp somewhere around 900w. In the trunk of my big Impala SS they sounded amazing.

But now I have a 94 Mazda B4000 (ford ranger copy) with an extended cab. it has the two little jump seats. I could physically put these two enclosures in there, but I would have to remove the seats and occupy all of my storage space and ability to transport more than 2 people.

Not to mention, they will be shiny objects just asking for a broken window.

What if I use the drivers and build an isobaric enclosure. Instead of two 1 cuft tubes, I theoretically could build a single half cu ft, right? And am I correct that the benefit there is reduced volume, but it only would produce the SPL of a single driver... that is to say, I wouldn't be doing this to maintain the spl of what I had before, I would be doing this to reduce acreage?

Other ideas? I don't need craziness. I ocassionally like to make it boom for fun, but I'm more of a classic rock/jazz type of listener. I'm not opposed to fabbing, I have plenty of MDF around. I'm also not opposed to getting new drivers since my CV-Rs were bought used and have been repaired once. They're old and abused.

Enclosures I have now:

Attachments

• 20140923_153254.jpg
    20140923_153254.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
When you get into enclosures in the realm of 1 ft3, isobaric doesn't really save much volume in practice. Reason being that positioning the two woofers face to face takes up about as much room as you save. Is that the Mazda/Ford that has the two folding jumpseats that face each other?

Ugh, if I'm remembering it right, you really don't anywhere to hide a woofer in that one. If it were mine, I'd look carefully in the doors to see if an enclosure could be built in for a pair of strong 6" or 8" to perform at their best. Then, build a more incognito (rectangle, carpeted to match, etc) removeable box to fit with one seat folded up and just take it out when you need the space.
I'm sorry, but that's all I've got this morning. Maybe someone else will have something more creative.

I thought about kind of extending the center console to make a console for the back where I could hide a 10, but to get enough air space it would have to be bigger than I want.

I did find schematics for a box that replaces one of the jumpseats, but not only does that ditch one of the seats, the box was only .68 cuft. Not really good for most 10s.

One of my problems is that I don't necessarily need loud, but I really hate when a sub has a high 3db- frequency. I have tried 8"s before and its frustrating when it quits at 60hz. I can hear down to 22hz, but I won't get that without big drivers and lots of cuft. I also considered making a full-width enclosure, removing the jump seats, and fabbing up an upholstered top for it. I did that with a 98 F150, but it had lots more room to play with.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.