Rockford Fosgate Power 851x output voltage problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a RF 851X which had one little problem (or big, we'll see). When I got the amp, on one speaker output voltage was 6V with or without input signal. I located two blown resistors and two output fets (as shown in attachment). After performed replacement, voltage on that same output channel shows 30 plus volts (rail voltage). Can anyone suspect what can be the problem that also needs to be resolved?

Thank you, Cheers!

Don't know why but attachment didn't happen for some reason. Here it goes again...

Attachments

• 851X.jpg
    851X.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 139
Those two resistors look burned but they are actually ok. Two that were replaced (marked by red arrows) were burned and one of them actually exploded so the nearby board and resistors got that black color.
Must source out what's causing rail voltage to pass directly to speaker out...

I needed it to go further up.

I can't believe that the two resistors on the left are good. The board around them is pristinely clean. Desolder them and check them out of the circuit.

Are R226, R237 and R279 within tolerance?

When the 0.1 ohm source resistors open, it virtually always damages the protection circuit. Even if it's not currently causing a problem, the resistors in the protection circuit need to be checked to make sure it's working properly before the amp is put back in service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.