No audio output jl audio 500/5 troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently have obtained a 500/5 that powers on without the low ohm light but no audio from the front and rear channels. I have checked the rca cables and they are not the problem. I removed the bottom cover and it appears that the output transistors have been replaced. I was wondering where I should start troubleshooting? I have the ability just lack the knowledge for troubleshooting any help would be appreciated

https://datasheet.octopart.com/NJM2068D-NJR-datasheet-96546.pdf

Have you tried connecting signal and speakers and operating all controls (pots and switches on front of the amp) through their entire range to see if any of the dead channels played through (even intermittently)?

Lift (carefully) the preamp board on the connector side about 1/16" (see attached) and push it back down several times to see if that changes anything.

Attachments

• DSCN9018b.jpg
    DSCN9018b.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 106
Is this for all 4 driver boards?

Did all channels go out at once?

The large resistors on the driver boards develop bad solder connections and sometimes have broken terminals. If it's just bad connections, you must add new solder, de-solder and re-solder. If you simply add new solder without removing the old solder, the connections typically fail again.

Yes, all four driver boards have only the top two LEDs illuminated. As for the channels going out at once I could not say definitively if they went at the same time. When I obtained the amp I did not check to make sure it had audio I just made sure it powered on. Once I installed it in my vehicle is when I discovered the lack of audio output on the front and rear channels.

I have checked the front and rear channels after moving the pre-amp board up and down as you instructed and I have a signal coming from the front left channel as well as the rear left channel but no signal on the front and rear right channel. I will get a new de-soldering braid tomorrow to re-solder the resistors.

The resistor will need to be replaced. Order replacements if you don't have any. Order extras since the replacement may fail if the fault that caused it may still exist.

Measure the DC voltage on the rest of the 4.,7 ohm resistors in that like of resistors. It should be about the same on both ends of the resistor so you only need to post one voltage for each one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.