Alpine CDA-7878 laser fix help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given an old Alpine CDA-7878 car reciever recently which has a 3-way DSP crossover, time alighnment and 45W x 4 amps so quite well specced. When I insert a CD it says "ERROR". I tried a cleaner CD but it didn't help so I've opened it up to try to get to the laser to clean it.

I've removed the CD rom ok but still no access to the laser lens. So I removed a circuit board and laser retaining screws thinking the laser would come out and its loose but its caught somewhere near the lens itself or the little black circuit board (arrowed and screws removed from it). I don't want to force anything so wondering if anyone has any idea how to remove it.

Attachments

• Alpine CDA-7878 disassembled 1.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 disassembled 1.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Alpine CDA-7878 laser mine 2.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser mine 2.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 136
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you are just trying to clean the lens then try turning the worm drive to a position where the lens is visible.

If you want to remove the laser completely then you might find that releasing the plastic bracket (top left) that retains the spiral rod will allow the pickup to be manually removed. There is also a screw on the pickup body (under your lower left yellow arrow) that looks like it may release the slide for that rail.

Thanks for the reply Mooly. I've removed the rail screws and the rail's loose-ish but being held on at 2 points which I've circled in yellow down below. I've got no idea what these are - they seem to be holes in the rail with a plastic looking material coming up through the holes and over the top like a plastic rivet. I tried gently to pry the rail up at these points but I don't want to break anything. Any ideas?

Also I wound the rail with some needle nose pliers as its quite stilff and managed to move the laser along but still can't get to it. The underside of the ROM is a maize of interlocking plates and allows no access. Just to confirm, the laser is what I have marked with the larger yellow circle rather than the red circle? What is it within the red circle?

Attachments

• Alpine CDA-7878 laser rails marked.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser rails marked.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Alpine CDA-7878 laser reverse side 2.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser reverse side 2.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 159
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The easiest way to move the sled is probably with a 1.5v battery on the sled motor.

Its always difficult just working off pictures but the screw I meant you to try was this one. It looks like it might remove the part that locates the pickup on the rail.

Attachments

• Annotation.png
    Annotation.png
    426.6 KB · Views: 102
I couldn't budge that screw with the tools I had but I was able to remove the CD clamping mechanism with a bit more cajoling - it was catching on the gear which mates with the spocket on the end of the slider. I was then able to remove the slider/lens assembly.

The laser lens looks pretty cloudy - I don't know if they are meant to look like this. Before I clean it, most people just seem to use a dry cotton/ear bud but is there any liquid I can use which is safe? Iso alchohol for example?

The other question is any idea where the pots would be which adjust the power to the laser? If the cleaning doesn't fix it then I'd like to go back in and try increasing the volts a very small amout to the laser.

Attachments

• Alpine CDA-7878 CD clamp mechanism removed.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 CD clamp mechanism removed.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Alpine CDA-7878 laser lens cloudy.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser lens cloudy.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 44
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It wouldn't harm to put a hose from a vacuum on that. Hold your finger on the lens to stop it getting sucked to violently. It looks pretty grim tbh :D

A clean lens should look super clean and twinkly sparkly when viewed with a torch. Don't be afraid to get the top of the lens wet, and just gently clean with a damp cotton bud. Repeat if needed.

If there has been a lot of fine dust in there then its possible the internal optics are dirty as well... unfortunately no easy fix for that... but getting the top of that lens clean should make a massive improvement.

Attachments

• Annotation4.png
    Annotation4.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 90
I gave the lens a good clean and the results are below. Looks pretty good to me now. Reassembled the rails and the clamping assembly after much trial and error. Now that I know where the lens sits I think it would be possible and a lot easier to clean the lens without taking it out, using a long bent swab like that used to clean cassette player heads.

If any other beginner is trying this on this model the best way I found (if you have disassembled everything) is to install the clamping assembly but leave the screws loose. Then fit the laser/slide assembly in the correct position onto the fixed slide, then push the lens/slider assembly into the clamping assembly, as the "worm drive" shaft end fits into a hole in the clamping assembly.

Unfortunately I managed to break a ribbon wire between the circuit board and the CD rom so I'll have to figure out how to repair this. I didn't realise it was just being held on by the solder. I also found what I believe to be the laser power adjustment pots - one says "5-2" and the other "E-r". I don't know which is which but one must be power and one offset? I won't touch them unless the lens cleaning doesn't work.

Attachments

• Alpine CDA-7878 laser lens CLEANED 3 detail.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser lens CLEANED 3 detail.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 88
  • Alpine CDA-7878 laser slider in clamp mechanism b.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser slider in clamp mechanism b.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Alpine CDA-7878 broken wires.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 broken wires.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Alpine CDA-7878 laser pots 6.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser pots 6.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Alpine CDA-7878 laser location 2c.jpg
    Alpine CDA-7878 laser location 2c.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 52
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 5-2 on the preset itself may be the value, five and two zeros (500 ohm). No idea on E-R although I can't see that on the other preset. E-F could be E-F balance, an electrical adjustment performed during initial setting up where E and F refer to the side detectors in the photo diode array within the pickup.

I've been doing some googling about this unit and there seem to be quite a few reports about CD error and overheating problems. I came across this thread which identified the problem as poorly soldered regulators IC8001 and IC8002 and the solution as simply resoldering the connections:

HI TEMP?!? - Page 6 - HighwayMP3

I have found these BA00AS regulators on my board and post a couple of pics below. Do they look like they need resoldering?

Attachments

• ALPINE CDA-7878 Regulator BA00AS x 2.jpg
    ALPINE CDA-7878 Regulator BA00AS x 2.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 64
  • ALPINE CDA-7878 Regulator BA00AS.jpg
    ALPINE CDA-7878 Regulator BA00AS.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 80
Well I've fixed the ribbon cable and resoldered the regulators and ready to reassemble the unit but the black "heat shield" (I assume) which sticks to the top of the laser has lost it's stickiness. Is double-sided 3M tape enough to secure the heatshield? Not sure how well it will stand up to the heat. Is there a better product I can use which is heat resistant?

Attachments

• Heatshield.jpg
    Heatshield.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 33
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.