SPE APE16000D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just recently repaired the above mentioned amplifier. one out of 5 output mosfet was short.

I replaced both sides mosfets with new genuine mosfets with same date code. customer took it and played about 40 mins he said and brought it back for the same problem. same single ouput mosfet but from different place short.
i checked all the gate resistors and all are good. he used 1ohm dual coil speaker. nut what i notice was the output speaker terminals got real hot that it melt the insulation over it. i am attaching pictures for review and help. Thank you.

Imraneesa

Attachments

• 20180918_133712.jpg
    20180918_133712.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • 20180918_133724.jpg
    20180918_133724.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 54
These amps have problems with the driver boards overheating. I generally add a small fan to help with reliability. All of the Q124(a) and Q125(a) should be replaced. Install the new ones with long leads so they cannot conduct the heat to the board. All other solder connections that show signs of overheating should be resoldered, completely desoldered and resoldered.

The terminal melted because there was a bad connection, either on the board or more likely the wire wasn't tightened down sufficiently.

These amps have problems with the driver boards overheating. I generally add a small fan to help with reliability. All of the Q124(a) and Q125(a) should be replaced. Install the new ones with long leads so they cannot conduct the heat to the board. All other solder connections that show signs of overheating should be resoldered, completely desoldered and resoldered.

The terminal melted because there was a bad connection, either on the board or more likely the wire wasn't tightened down sufficiently.

Does the amp pull current as we increase the volume, given 100hz sinewave and no speakers connected?

Are you asking if the current draw should increase when a signal is driven into it?

If so, there may be a slight increase in idle current but I would expect less than an amp increase at near clipping.

1.3 ~2.9

yes that is what i was asking about. My amp is pulling 1.3amps at idle when no signal is driven. when i drove 100hz almost about to clip without load it going to 2.9amps. i dont know if there is any problem.

If you drive it up for a couple of seconds then shut it down, does any one of the output FETs heat up significantly more than others?

Does the idle current immediately return to 1.3 amps after you remove the signal?

The idle current will also increase as the driver board heats up.

All the outputs almost heating same. as i remove the signal the amps comes back to 1.3amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.