What is the difference technically between car and home hifi systems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Perry,
I've seen that slow burn on a bench with the technician frozen, just staring at it. Pretty funny in a "had to be there" way. He woke up and removed power. They were using car batteries and trickle chargers for power. The part that glows can get pretty bright.

Most things that happen at higher voltages go BANG! Then it's over, although PCB tracking can still be a problem. The current is lower so you don't get the bright effect like you do at low voltage and high current.

I have seen mosfets burn their way through the PCB when it is laid over top of the transistor. There was a line of "pro" amplifiers called "Stewart" that tended to put the mosfets under the PCB. A channel failure typically wrote the amplifier off. Some of the early Carver car amplifiers did something similar, the M-240 I think was one model. They retrofitted mica between the transistor and the PCB to stop that from happening. It seemed to work.

-Chris

I use car amp on my TV sound.
I before car amp i had gen1 rega elicit but it was noisy, i mean when amp was on it hissed bit loud.

I this car amp is dead silent, i run it with "8amp" chinese led power supply with 1F capacitor.

Power supply is bit bad, it wont power up bigger amps such as pioneer gm-x802.

I wouldnt use car speakers on home audio, sure you could but you still have to go with proper speaker build. factory crossovers are no go.
picture example for proper speaker desing...
sim.png

That thesis is interesting amp but sure needs powerfull power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.