Question regarding modification to cheap amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have joined this community to ask a question as I don't know where else to turn. I hope that someone is able to point me in the right direction.

I have a cheap BOSS CE200m monoblock car amp. I have a very low level signal that I want to amplify however the amp will only switch on once a certain signal threshold is sensed. How can I bypass this? Can I remove this sensor from the circuit somehow? It's not possible for me to use any pre amplification in is project. I need the amp to remain powered regardless if there is no audio running through it or not.

Photo is attached.

And a description:

Amazon.com: BOSS Audio CE200M Chaos Epic 200 Watt, Monoblock, 4 Ohm Stable Class A/B, MOSFET Car Amplifier: Car Electronics

Please let me know if you have any ideas !

Attachments

• boss.jpg
    boss.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 84
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It almost certainly is possible, however in the absence of a circuit diagram being available its going to need a good working knowledge of electronic theory and circuit configurations.

It probably works like this... if it detects audio then there will be a permanently powered input stage of some kind that will amplifiy/rectify audio by a massive amount. The voltage produced by that will be used to trigger a monostable, the output of which will activate the main power supply/amp. When audio is removed the monostable times out after a preset delay and the amp turns off.

To override this you need to find that trigger signal and permanently enable it so the power supply/and/or amp is permanently operational.

Even though it's labeled "remote out" the manual seems to indicate that it is supposed to be 12v switched remote in. It might be worth a try, as posted above, the manual says it's the orange wire.

Is the plug location directly below the orange wire in the molex connector populated? If so, maybe take some more detailed pictures of both sides of the board.

When I've seen remote switching implemented via audio in its normally a pretty simple circuit with a comparator. When there is a high enough voltage on the audio input, the comparator output goes high and turns on the main power supply.

Good luck,
Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.