Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Again needing help fixing Orion HCCA 225 Digital Reference
Again needing help fixing Orion HCCA 225 Digital Reference
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2018, 04:28 AM   #91
Chopperbuilder is offline Chopperbuilder  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't see any stained fibers.
Any suggestions now?
Or should I just run the amp without the muting circuit? I planned to use it to power my subs.
Old 16th June 2018, 04:35 AM   #92
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

It depends on how tired you are of it.

Although it's not the right way to do it, you could lift terminal 5 of the opto-coupler. Lift the mute resistors (I'll have a look to tell you which ones) and run a small wire between the opto and the resistors.

Another option would be to simply cut out the section of trace that runs under the caps and jump outside that bad area with a small wire.

If you use a wire as a jumper. apply a dot of adhesive at various points along it to make sure it doesn't break due to vibration.

How are the screw holes in the heatsink holding up?
Old 16th June 2018, 05:03 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to temporarily bypass that trace with a jumper wire to see if it solves the problem?

The screw holes in the heatsink are holding up surprisingly well.
Old 16th June 2018, 05:39 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Desolder the opto, pull pin 5 up and reinstall the opto-coupler.

Near the muting transistors, there is a 100k and a 2.7 ohm resistor that connect to the bad trace. They are near the cap marked 101. Lift those and solder them together. Run a wire from those to pin 5 of the opto-coupler.

That will remove the trace (but also a couple of other insignificant components).

If that works, you can connect a jumper as shown below. There are 3 cuts. This reconnects all components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1224x.jpg (590.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 17th June 2018, 06:14 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

What if I removed the trace that runs under the caps. Coat the board where is was with mask. After it dries, glue down a new trace and coat it with mask...do you think that would work?
Old 17th June 2018, 07:06 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

You can do it however you want as long as the section that's causing the problem is taken out of the circuit.

I don't quite understand what you intend to do but the replacement trace will probably have to be insulated from the board if the board has absorbed any electrolyte.

As a side note, the section that was bypassed on the amp I have here was still leaking voltage, even after cleaning the board. After being cut out of the circuit, it goes to +10v as soon as the amp powers up.

Whatever you do, realize that the via at one end of the bad trace is under the caps and has to be cut out. That's why I cut on each side of it and re-connected the components with the jumper.
Old 18th June 2018, 02:47 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

As in your picture, I cut the trace in the same three spots and ran a jumper wire. It didn't work, voltage is still at -2.5v and holding there.

Last edited by Chopperbuilder; 18th June 2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 18th June 2018, 03:17 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Are you sure that there is no continuity between the 'bad' section and the section you are trying to save?

Did you try what I described to confirm that the bypassed section was causing the problem?

What is the DC voltage on the bypassed section (measure on either of the two vias)?
Old 18th June 2018, 03:28 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

I can't be sure there is no continuity between the bad section and the section I'm trying to save.

No, I did not try what you described to confirm the problem.

The DC voltage on the bypassed section is +1.5v
Old 18th June 2018, 03:35 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

If the voltage isn't the same, there is no continuity (as in an incomplete cut).

Try bypassing the entire trace as described. The electrolyte may have done more damage on your board than mine.

Again needing help fixing Orion HCCA 225 Digital ReferenceHide this!Advertise here!