Using ported speakers in open baffle set up. Home speakers in car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have Cambridge audio m60 speakers that sound amazing ly good. These are ported speakers.
What if I use them in my car. There is a minimal space to build boxes. Currently they are in about 1 cubic feet boxes ..ported boxes.
They will be used with old Alpine amp that delivers true 50 watts per channel.

I've heard since drivers don't have dumping property of the box they can get damaged.
I am just thinking that since the drivers are already in ported boxes.. they are sort of designed for minimal damping. Can I just slap them into the doors and not build boxes for them. It's a bit of a hustle to build and fix boxes into the doors

Typically so, with a paper cone, but these have a poly driver of some sort.
I would do what you are thinking, and provided you take care with your installation, it should sound nice. Keep in mind that they are 8 ohm, and you will need a larger amp to run them.

I did a similar install starting with a set of JBL Ti tweeters, and just recreated the 4406 into my doors, keeping the crossovers in the kick panels forward of the doors. The factory speakers had a shroud over the upper portion to keep water from dripping on them, and I kept those. I use an older Nakamichi PA300 amp that is rated at 70wpc, and it sounds fine.

Yes these are pretty weather proof. Rubber material and some plastic material cones.. my only worry is open baffle situation. There is no box to help woofers. No air suspension. But the speakers came in ported boxes. I play music loud sometimes. Will I have an issue like woofer bottoms out quickly, or just tears out. I doubt it's an issue. I might build sealed boxes about one third of original volume. U think boxes will help with better bass response? Normally subwoofer manufacturers suggest sealed box to be half the size of ported box. So if u decide to use the sub in ported box it needs to be twice the size of the sealed box if u were to use the same sub in sealed set up

I think I have plenty of power. For a pair or 8ohm speakers. These are very efficient. And 8 ohm in theory should help the amp to run cooler. This one does get hot. In summer if on a long drive with bass heavy music it can shut down. I also have a 12" oionerr subwoofer powered by same amp. Shallow mount pioneer 1500w max. It's getting around 150w though

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.