Rockford Fosgate monoblock amplifier noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

I am having some noise issues with my Rockford Fosgate class D mono amplifier.
The exact model number is = R1200-1D.
During normal operation I noticed the volume level of my subwoofers would drop down very low (but not completely out) and then rise back up to where the volume was set.
I found that if I put pressure on the input RCA cables connected at the amplifier the volume level would stay correct.
Also, with the input RCA cables "disconnected" from the amplifier but the power, ground, and speaker wires staying "connected" with the amplifier powered on,
I get a popping and buzzing sound if I touch the shield's on the RCA input Jacks with my finger.
I can also tap on the amplifier housing with it powered on and I can actually hear the taps come through my subwoofers as audible thumps.
I've checked continuity from the shields of the RCA input Jacks to their soldered locations on the circuit board as well as checking continuity from the same input jack shields to the speaker terminals on the amplifier. I have continuity through each one of those paths.
Does anyone have any input on what the issue might be ?
If anyone has any advice on what areas I need to concentrate my testing on then that would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Jay

I don't know how different the input circuit is on the prime vs other rockford amps but the non-prime series will produce noise on some models if you touch the RCA shields with no RCAs plugged in. That doesn't affect normal operation.

Plug in only one RCA at a time and move it around to see if one channel is intermittent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.