Uher Cassette Deck 12V supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wondered if anyone has experience with Uher cassette decks. I have some of their reel to reel machines and really like their engineering and look. I have a bad cassette player in my car which I'm going to replace with a decent CD Radio. However, I also like to play cassettes so I thought of a fun little project.

A Uher CR 240 or similar would seem to be the best of both worlds. I could have it at home, then as I often go on long journeys I could mount it under the glove compartment on thumbscrew brackets and have a line out to the auxiliary input on the existing head unit.

As these are designed as portable cassette recorders they have the Uher power supplies that are common with my portable reel to reel decks. The Z131 and so on. These decks also take 6 C cells.

My question is whether anyone has any ideas on the possibilities of making these run from a 12V car outlet. I suppose I'd run a line from the relevant car circuit to the DIN power input on the deck...any ideas? Has anyone got one to hand and can see if they have 12V circuitry or whether a power supply would have to be manufactured?

Hello.

UHER CR240 has is own voltage regulator.
UHER CR-240-DOLBY-N SCH Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts
Look DIN connector at part 600 DC 12-24 AUTORADIO .

Just need to build cable with DIN male connector to plug it to 12V socket (or wire to car ISO connector).

Connect +12V to pin 7 and GND to pin 6.

SAM_2175.jpg

Thank you both. I'm going to wire in a DIN 4165 or two for a supply from the car, and then make a cable or find one of the original car connectors.

Now to get a CR240! I'll post some pictures when it's done. The console is now out and switches and wiring going back in...

Update: A CR240 is on the way.

If I may trespass on your knowledge further, do you know the pin-out for the audio accessory outputs? On the picture above, there are sockets for Auto Radio, Radio and Accessory... I cannot find a user manual, and the service manual circuit diagram isn't very helpful.

I know on my reel-to-reel decks the accessory can be used for audio output as well as remote control and other uses. If I want auxiliary stereo output from a CR240, which connections do I need to make up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.