Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rodek r2180a and protect
Rodek r2180a and protect
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2017, 11:48 PM   #1
mladenke is offline mladenke
diyAudio Member

Default Rodek r2180a and protect

This amp go to protect sometimes, then turn HU off and on i amp power up without problem. And this is only when car motor is runing. On key off, amp dont go in protect. But, few days earlier amp go to protect independently of motor runing or not, and can't power up amp with key off/on. I disconect the power wire, ground and speaker, and nothing changes. Move ground wire to another places and still same thing. Sometimes it power on and runing nice but in most cases it go to protect. I notice a strange boop sound from woofer when amp go to power on, and same thing on power off, when it's working.

So i decide to open amp and check whats hepening. It have tl494cl IC, jrd4558d opamp, irf3205 mosfets, and tip35c and 36c transistors and u1620 and u1620r Rectifiers. I have a bad ground connection on rca's and not good connection on one leg of 3205 fet. Amp didn;t go to protect. One day its plaing nice and over night still the same thning.

Opened amp again. Check everything and i dont find a problem. Disconnect rectifiers and 35/36c tranzistor, power on amp and got protect mode. Put it back on board and amp turn on like charm. It's working about a 20-30min and amp everything was cold like an ice cream.

tl494cn voltage on pinout.
pin1 1.14
pin2 3.4
pin3 0.6
pin4 0
pin5 1.5
pin6 3.3
pin7 0
pin8 8.8
pin9 3.6
pin10 3.6
pin11 8.9
pin12 12
pin13 4.9
pin14 4.9
pin15 4.9
pin 16 0

Is that ok?

I will tomorow change all of capacitators on board. From left to right. I think that boop sound from woofer on amp on/off is becouse of them. Am i right?
And how to find a problem why amp go to protect, more often on 14volts with enging runing and sometimes on 12volts when car is off. And usuly go in protect in the mornig when car not runing some time. Pint me in some direction i have try everything.
Old 23rd December 2017, 12:23 AM   #2
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Post a photo of the board.
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

and some from google.
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Old 23rd December 2017, 09:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

and some from google

Old 23rd December 2017, 09:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I want photos of your amp. Post in high resolution.
Old 23rd December 2017, 11:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

keep trying to attach images but it frozen on waiting to ww.diyaudio.com to response and nothing happens 15 minuts. Don't know why. Lets try this way. Link to gallery.

amp — Postimage.org
Old 23rd December 2017, 06:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Today i replaced all caps in the board. Powered amp from pc power supply (11.9v), let it run about 20-30min. everything is cold. I have 11.9v on fets, 37.5v / - 37.5v on rectifiers, and 37.5v/-37.5 on transistors. Is that ok voltage for this amp?
Old 23rd December 2017, 06:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The caps were almost certainly not the problem but if you removed the brown fixative that was in contact with other components, that could have fixed the problem.

38v with 50v rail caps is OK. I don't know that the rail voltage is supposed to be.

Was it shutting down on the 12v supply before you did anything to it?
Old 23rd December 2017, 07:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sometimes its shut down on 12v, but on 14v on first start always go to protect. Then with HU swithing off/on, amp go to power on. 2 or 3 days before, it stays in protect on engine off 12v, and engine on 14v.

What can i do next?
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Reinstall it in the car and see if it does it again. If it does, get the 494 voltages while in protect.

Before reinstalling it, you may want to try pushing on various parts of the board with a non-conductive probe to see if it will go into protect.

Rodek r2180a and protectHide this!Advertise here!