Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cap replacement Soundstream D/MC series.
Cap replacement Soundstream D/MC series.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 03:42 AM   #1
doug71zt is offline doug71zt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Cap replacement Soundstream D/MC series.

I've got a number of older SS amps that I'm about to put into service after storage (15yrs). D100II, D200II, MC300, CA50II.

One of the D200II had blown outputs and a blown FED16BT dual diode. Not sure what was the cause and what was the effect on that one. I have the parts on the way to repair that.

My question is which caps should I consider replacing in these amps? Most are low hr units, none of the electrolytics are bulged or leaking.

Just the PS filter caps? What brand/series should I be using there (2200mf 50V)

Input caps or any in the signal path like the 10mf before the 3067 dual transistors?

Any input would be appreciated greatly.
Old 10th November 2017, 04:21 AM   #2
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you have a capacitance meter?

Sometimes the old caps are still within tolerance and sometimes you'll find a series of caps that tend to fail. I'm not a fan of replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.
Old 10th November 2017, 05:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Perry - I do not have a capacitance meter, I do have a Fluke 177 with a Cap function.
Don't the caps have to be removed from the circuit for a proper test?
Old 10th November 2017, 05:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

For most meters, they need to be out of the circuit.
Old 13th November 2017, 03:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Perry, as I suspected..
It's a bit of a catch-22, you have to de-solder them to check, so why not replace them instead....same amount of labour.
The MC300 has had the electrolytics replaced in two channels but not the other two, everything else is untouched. I am the second owner of the MC300 so don't know what sort of life it had, it has been worked on by a pro shop at least once, dual diodes and switches have been replaced already.
What are the recommended capacitors for power supply filter caps? Caps in the audio circuits?

Thanks Doug
Old 14th November 2017, 06:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You would only have to remove a random sample.

It sounds like you're going to replace them, for no good reason. Millions of perfectly good capacitors have been replaced for the exact same reason. A good technician replaces the parts that need to be replaced.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:52 PM   #7
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I actually stared at the ones in my D200IIs for a couple days before deciding they were meant to stay. They are excellent quality Nichicon, with very nicely sealed ends...
I did replace the smaller ones on the feedback section with some slightly smoother sounding parts.
Could have just left it all and probably would have been just fine for reliability, was trying to get it to sound closer to the other amp I was using with it.
Old 15th November 2017, 03:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'm going to leave them as-is until I get them in a system and listen to them.

Thanks

Doug
Old 17th November 2017, 10:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any idea where I can get replacement FETs for the power supply? The show as P25N06 on the schematic.
Digikey shows them as obsolete.
Old 17th November 2017, 10:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

With 47.5 ohm gate resistors, you can use a variety of FETs. The IRFZ44 should be OK.

You may need to replace the 150 ohm pulldown resistors with 100 ohm so order those as well.

Cap replacement Soundstream D/MC series.Hide this!Advertise here!