Box Construction .. advise needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I just bought one 10" Alpine Type-R subwoofer for my '03 Mustang.

I'm going to be using a Kenwood 600 watt amp for now until I save up some more money for another 10" Alpine and another amp.

I really want to build my own box but I'm not sure which one will sound better, sealed or ported. All I've ever heard before is ported. I will mostly be listening to rap and some rock music.

Also, where is the best location for the ports on a box? Top? Side?

One more question too, what's the best type of wood to build a box from? I have a bunch of 1/2" plywood but I'm not sure if that's thick enough. Most of the boxes I've owned look to have been about 3/4" thick plywood.

Thanks,

Fast Kat

:cool:

sealed or ported that is a personal preference. Sealed boxes usualy have a little better sq and better power handling ported boxes usally are a little mor eficient and just a tad louder.
if you go with a ported box aim the spkrs up and the ports at the rear of the car. you need to build box out of 3/4 inch medium density fiberboard (mdf) not plywood plywood will rattle..:D

personally id go ported for a car sub. The acaustics in a car are too bad to notice any extra definition and control offered by sealed designs imo. You may as well go for the highes spl and efficiency. ported designs also go down a bit lower, i think this is your driver...

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 292
Thanks everyone ...

However I said screw it and just went and bought a box. I went to Circuit City and they helped me out a lot. The salesman played the 10" Alpine in the sealed box and the ported one. He sold me on the sealed one. It sounded a little better to me. I figured by the time I make the box .. the time and money I put into it wouldn't be worth it to me. The box was fairly cheap, about $50.

Again, thanks for the advise everyone. Now I gotta go spend the next several hours installing everything. :bawling: It's never fun running the power and rca wires.

building the sub enclosure

Contact the vendor of the subwoofer and ask for enclosure plans. Only use MDF, never, never use plywood or you will learn what the term "resonance" means! The least expensive, and least hastle for the car stereo dealer is a sealed box. If you care about the sound quality of the bass, you might investigate a bandpass enclosure. It doesn't require a crossover and it is ported. The square prt could exit from the top of the box, patially external, and pass through a neatly cut opening in the parcel shelf above, where it would deliver bass into the INSIDE of the car not the trunk! P.

Here is a book

I have a ebook where you can find lots of information about Box construction...the book name is CAR SPEAKER PROJECTS ILLUSTRATED by DAN FERGUSON.. the ebook is a large file 21.4M in 5 compressed rar files let me know where can I upload it...(if you have an email with enough space I can email you the files)..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.