Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Washing an amplifier board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2017, 02:13 AM   #1
nonprof is offline nonprof
diyAudio Member

Default Washing an amplifier board

Hello!

I'm soliciting your idea on how to clean the amplifier boards.

I'm thinking if I it is okay to dip the amplifier board in the water with soap and dry it for a couple of days. Do you think this should be fine? my apology if this is completely wrong...

Thank you!

Last edited by nonprof; 6th January 2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 6th January 2017, 02:28 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprof View Post
if I it is okay to dip the amplifier board in the water with soap and dry it for a couple of days.
I've seen this done (even in a dishwasher), but you should use liquid soap and rinse well several times.
Some components may not like the bath. Just using an old toothbrush can work wonders.
Old 6th January 2017, 03:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
I've seen this done (even in a dishwasher), but you should use liquid soap and rinse well several times.
Some components may not like the bath. Just using an old toothbrush can work wonders.
thank you!

Last edited by nonprof; 6th January 2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 6th January 2017, 03:53 AM   #4
ravels is offline ravels
diyAudio Member

Are you talking about the bare PCB? Then it should be OK.

If you are talking about assembled board, it is not a good idea, water may cause damage depending on the type components that are on the board.
Old 6th January 2017, 04:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravels View Post
Are you talking about the bare PCB? Then it should be OK.

If you are talking about assembled board, it is not a good idea, water may cause damage depending on the type components that are on the board.
assembled boards with inductors and transformer...but exclusion of potentiometers and trimmer from a bath.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:12 AM   #6
rickcl is offline rickcl  United States
diyAudio Member

I have done many boards by spraying with simple green. Let it sit for 10 minutes , scrub with small brush, quickly rinse and let dry. I have never immersed a board.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:16 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Used to do this all the time with TV's, remotes, VCR's etc. Yes, even the high voltage stuff.

Foam cleaner or washing up liquid, soft brush hot water and rinse well. Boards come up like new.

Do not wet any adjustable coils or trimmer caps which really means do not wash RF circuitry.

Dry thoroughly by dabbing with paper towel and then place on a hot radiator for several hours.
Old 6th January 2017, 08:05 AM   #8
Fenalaar is online now Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

Use electronics cleaner. It doesn't leave residues.

A quick way to check if residues are left, is put some of your cleaning solution on a white paper, and let the paper dry. Inspect the paper under a strong light. If it is discolored where it was wet, do not use the cleaning solution for electronics.

Johan-Kr
Old 7th January 2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Triviumfan4 is offline Triviumfan4  United States
diyAudio Member

Either I'm too picky or got some junk "electrical","electronics"cleaners,but I don't like the type of "finish" they leave.Its like a residue,don't have a better name for it.But visible to some extent.
I was skeptical at first but literally just water and a toothbrush in the sink is awesome especially when you do it for the first time and see how it looks.

Just be patient with blow nozzle on an air compressor (generally regulated somewhat down from the 125-175 that most compressors cycle off at with a pencil blow gun)or keyboard duster etc,be creative,and a just a touch of common sense.

Just dry immediately after washing and dry well.Like under caps,when you think you've dried it.Go over it twice more.Ive had literally zero issues with that generic philosophy.
I have pretty clean city water in general, surprisingly, plus a softener.Dont know if that means anything but water marks and general deposits are nonexistent even if I drip dry.
But I always blow them out several times and even set on the front porch is some sunlight for an aid in drying in the summer because I can.Not needed tho if you take your time.

If your really nervous about moisture that's in compressed air and co2(keyboard duster) even tho duster co2 may be more "refined" than soda fountain co2,it may still have some sort of moisture content.
You could go over the top and use say nitrogen or helium if your truly concerned��
Sorry for the excessive bs on board washing.Got bored apparently ��
Old 7th January 2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I actually had cause to wash a PCB today, OK so it was only a remote control but it was a good example.

Having rinsed the PCB I added a few drops of ordinary washing up liquid poured neat onto the PCB. Soft brush to clean both sides, rinse, shake, pat dry with a paper towel and dry on a radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (74.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (112.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg C.jpg (94.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg D.jpg (74.3 KB, 187 views)

Washing an amplifier boardHide this!Advertise here!