pioneer avic-f900bt volume rotary encoder not working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. The AVIC-F900BT unit does have sound but no volume control up or down. The joystick up/down/left/right functions do work. The parking cable is grounded.

1. I replaced the encoder with a salvaged encoder and still have same problem. Unlikely (but possible) that both encoders have the same problem.

2. I rechecked all ribbon cables and wiring, etc. All were properly seated and there were no visible cracks in the cables.

3. There are no external devices connected to the unit. The unit is not set to ipod or ext or anything like that.

4. I checked all the diodes on the encoder PCB and all seemed good.

5. Reset button didn't help.

Are there settings that could do this?

Any ideas?

Sometimes those encoders (knob) is not countersink and most times pressure or repeated uses will make the PCB have microscopic cracks around that area or loosen pinhole taps that connects top layer to bottom layer (worst if you have inner layer PCB).
Also check if you have a separate binary controller chip (more likely it would be embedded in the system control ic) that clocks your encoder zeros and ones.

Using a multimeter I was able to ring out the encoder and It does function as expected.

In the schematic, the only components in line with the encoder and the uPC are two surface mount transistors. These check out good, but could still be faulty.

I also found a surface mount fuse that was open but replacing it had no effect on volume control.

I am still at it. Thanks for all te suggestions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.