Diy Dc-dc Pc Power Supply , Anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be putting a Computer in to my car, a cheap seteup ATX board witha 2000xp AMD , I kind of need some help on a DIY 12DC-DC PC power SUpply for my ATX board and one hardisk , I did some seach on the net, they have some premade product, but it's a tight budget project, so ..... had anyone done it or got any good source how ot make one? thanx

li_gangyi said:
well in the pc psu...it gets rectified to dc...so ain't it the same??

You would think so, wouldn't you? But the PC's PSU expects a sine wave to be put into to, so the rectification isn't as good when another sorta wave is put in. Try using a scope to look at the output from the PC's PSU when wired up to a square/sawtooth inverter and you will see what i mean.

I'm sure a sine wave inverter would work better, but they are pricey.

hello,

i have a car pc in my car. i used the cheapest invertert i could find (newegg.com, $29 for 300w), produces modified sine wave (nearly square wave) ac. I used the cheapest PC power supply i could find. I have no noise issues. I have installed about 10 car pc's in various cars, and have gone the same route on each. Make sure to connect the PC power supply case to car chassis, and inverter case to car chassis. if you have any slight hum you cannot get rid of, get the external creative mp3+ usb sound card. it plugs into the usb port and prodvides female rc line out levels -- perfect to feed into an amp, and only costs $39, (the price of a OEM Autigy).

-chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.