Need urgent help with JL 500/5 parts order

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The sub channel hasn't given me any trouble or issues thus far. I have been using it lightly every now and then. I am using the midrange channels daily though. I switch the sub between this sub channel and the 500/1.

I have 3 10ohm 33w resistors that I connected in parallel which reads 3.7ohms. I connected this to the sub channel and there was no change in the scope readings, no additional heat to any components, no funny noises from the amplifier. This was with the amp idling with no signal. I plan to get 2 more 33w resistors so that I can drop the load to 2ohms.
Does that tell me anything or does it have to be a 2ohm load?

I strung together 5 very low value 2 watt resistors in series to reach a 2ohm load and the amplifier had no reaction to that either.
Would that make a difference if 2w or 33w or 100w resistors are used, or has my test concluded the channel is safe?

I noted that the damping factor is >500@4 ohms, and I assume that it would be >250@2 ohms just like the 250/1.
Does that means that there is an advantage to running the 250w as a 4 ohm load with this sub channel over running a 2 ohm load?

Should I load test the sub channel again but with a signal?

The sub channel in this amp has failed and I need to identify some parts that I can't make out. I will include some pics to assist as soon as I am able to upload them, attachment giving trouble...

1) COP12 which is a red capacitor residing just in front of the sub channel outputs in between the heavy gauge metal rail jumpers. Looks like a red bean...

2) R633 and R582 which are large resistors mounted vertically just behind the inductors, in between them and the heavy gauge metal rail jumper.

This forum isn't only for the person originally posting. It's a resource for people who need help with their amps. If someone needs help with the sub channel on one of these amps, they would have to go through 80+ posts to find anything helpful. You can post a link to any relevant post in this thread if you think it's important.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.