Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Kicker KX600.4 protects and led alternately flashing
Kicker KX600.4 protects and led alternately flashing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2015, 04:50 AM   #1
nonprof is offline nonprof
diyAudio Member

Default Kicker KX600.4 protects and led alternately flashing

Hello!

This amp looks weird...it alternately flashing the red and green light or steady red light. I don't have a defective output and power transistors. I've checked every supply but no problem.

But if I unbias the transistor that driving the Kicker logo lights (4 leds in parallel) this amp is powered up. Removing the gate diode or shorting the zener diode across LED connector this amp will works fine.

Any advice?

Please see attached picture.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kick.JPG (21.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by nonprof; 11th November 2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11th November 2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

The LEDs appear to be grounded to the audio ground (RCA shields). Is that correct?

Does the amp go into protect mode when a source unit with a proper grounded RCA shield is connected?
Old 11th November 2015, 01:46 PM   #3
PapaZBill is offline PapaZBill  United States
diyAudio Member

The LED leads are most likely shorting to the amp cover. Use diode checker or ohm meter to check continuity to bare metal on cover to LED leads and resistor. This of course should test open. If shorted, remove name badge and trim leads.

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12th November 2015, 03:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

RCA shield is that the ground of an RCA input? or the circular metal frame from RCA female connector?

I checked the continuity of the RCA shield and the AGND. no connection.

I powered the amp with my mobile phone use as a source unit but goes into protect ON and OFF (flashing lights alternately), rail voltages ups and down...

I removed LED strips from the metal cover but still ON and OFF.

But if you remove the supply or disconnect the base of the LED driver transistor. The ON and OFF gone and amp works perfect.
Old 12th November 2015, 04:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't have the complete diagram so I'll leave the rest of the troubleshooting to PapaZBill since he's helping you.
Old 13th November 2015, 01:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you Perry and Papa!

I've found the problem...it was the adhesive from the Leds terminal that caused leakage to adjacent component. thanks!
Old 13th November 2015, 01:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Are you referring to the brown fixative that's around the connector below? If so, any time you see that fixative and it's started to turn dark, you need to remove it. It becomes both conductive and corrosive. It will eat through the legs of components and through the conductive elements of resistors (causing them to open or change value).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3891x.jpg (158.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 13th November 2015, 01:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Are you referring to the brown fixative that's around the connector below? If so, any time you see that fixative and it's started to turn dark, you need to remove it. It becomes both conductive and corrosive. It will eat through the legs of components and through the conductive elements of resistors (causing them to open or change value).
Yes. You are right. Thank you again...
Old 13th November 2015, 03:28 AM   #9
PapaZBill is offline PapaZBill  United States
diyAudio Member

Good catch! I have seen this a couple of times.Sometimes the problem is staring you right in the face, and finding it lacks looking in the right direction!

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 13th November 2015, 03:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

PapaZBill, do you know what that fixative is? If you don't, could you research it and post the exact name? I know it's asking a bit much but I've never been able to find exactly what it is.

Kicker KX600.4 protects and led alternately flashingHide this!Advertise here!