Kicker KX600.4 protects and led alternately flashing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

This amp looks weird...it alternately flashing the red and green light or steady red light. I don't have a defective output and power transistors. I've checked every supply but no problem.

But if I unbias the transistor that driving the Kicker logo lights (4 leds in parallel) this amp is powered up. Removing the gate diode or shorting the zener diode across LED connector this amp will works fine.

Any advice?

Please see attached picture.

Thank you!

Attachments

• kick.JPG
    kick.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
RCA shield is that the ground of an RCA input? or the circular metal frame from RCA female connector?

I checked the continuity of the RCA shield and the AGND. no connection.

I powered the amp with my mobile phone use as a source unit but goes into protect ON and OFF (flashing lights alternately), rail voltages ups and down...

I removed LED strips from the metal cover but still ON and OFF.

But if you remove the supply or disconnect the base of the LED driver transistor. The ON and OFF gone and amp works perfect.

Are you referring to the brown fixative that's around the connector below? If so, any time you see that fixative and it's started to turn dark, you need to remove it. It becomes both conductive and corrosive. It will eat through the legs of components and through the conductive elements of resistors (causing them to open or change value).

Attachments

• IMG_3891x.jpg
    IMG_3891x.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 71
Are you referring to the brown fixative that's around the connector below? If so, any time you see that fixative and it's started to turn dark, you need to remove it. It becomes both conductive and corrosive. It will eat through the legs of components and through the conductive elements of resistors (causing them to open or change value).

Yes. You are right. Thank you again...:)

Hey fellas,

My KX600.4 is doing the exact same thing. Flashing from Protection to Green, but the green flash is a much shorter duration. So, it's mainly red, but you'll see a flash of green consistently. I have no idea what i'm doing, but I opened the amp up and it is filled with that brown crap. Is there a procedure I should follow for removing this stuff, and if so, do I need to reapply it after I've wiped it?

I apologize if this seems stupid... I just know that PC power supply's can hold enough current to kill you even years after being unplugged, and I'm just not sure what to expect from an amplifier.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

No such thing as a stupid question. However, it's difficult to advice you since in your words "I have know idea what I'm doing"

And without at the very least a volt/ohm meter, an adequate power supply, knowing how to use them and a basic understanding of car audio electronics it will be difficult to advice you.

You may want to begin by starting a new thread.It will make it easier to follow and advice you.

Also,consider reading through Perry Babins website BCAE.Com

FYI, caution around any electronics is adviced,this amp will not necessarily carry any lethal voltages when powered off and giving a few minutes to discharge.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'll start a new one tomorrow with a much better description. I feel a little stupid having worded things the way I did. I do, however, appreciate the response!
I'll take some good quality pics and have a much more adequate description of what i'm dealing with, as well as my technical knowledge (so you'll at least know where to start helping me); I'm in the cyber security industry, so why I would leave you with such little detail is beyond my understanding when I put myself in your position. Sorry about that... Anyway, you rock. I'll be back!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.