adhesive/epoxy for the amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know where you're located.

The adhesive I use most is an acrylic. They are sold under E6000 or GOOP. I've also found a similar adhesive sold as a fabric adhesive (Aleene's Super Fabric Adhesive). It seems to dry more quickly than the others but likely has more solvent content than the others listed.

When applying these, I generally apply them to the top of the capacitor. It stiffens them up just as well and is easier to remove than if applied to the bottom of a large array of caps.

The trick with silicone tubes is to just leave the nozzle on when you have finished with it. Unscrew and replace with a new nozzle next time you need it. The silicone will have set about 3/4 the way down into the nozzle.

Unscrewing the nozzle and trying to seal the tube is fruitless. I tried many methods for years until I realised the above trick. The problem is that any seal is not 100%, but also once you remove the nozzle the tube sees a hit of moisture, even if it's a brief one it is enough to do damage.

I didn't realize that RTV cured with moisture until I read up on the 744. That may explain why I have so much trouble with it. The humidity here is relatively high. It works the best when I leave a half inch (approximately) sticking out of the long application nozzle. If I use it relatively soon, it hardens only in the nozzle but I never get to use an entire tube when I just use a small amount at a time.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The 744 can be bought in the more DIY-friendly (and cheaper) 90 ml "toothpaste tubes". Trick is to not let air in when closing the tube. Will check this evening but the current tube is more than 1 year old now. Till now I never had problems with 744, I did have problems with other RTV's hardening. Since I put time in finding the real "electronics RTV" I found 744 and never looked back.

Drawback of the "toothpaste tube" is that it is made of light and thin aluminium. You will have to be careful when applying pressure. Just one crack is enough...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.