Mark Audio Alpair 3.5" full range in dash + Dayton RS180 mid in doors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you guys think about this setup I'm considering?

2015 Kia Optima four door sedan.

• 3.5" full-range Mark Audio Alpair gold in the dash.
  • 7" Dayton RS180 in the front doors as a mid-woofer.
  • 6" full range Mark Audio Alpair gold in the rear doors.
  • Random 12" subwoofer in the trunk.

I listen to rock and jazz at moderate to loud volumes.
Love the midbass stuff.
And LOVE a nice soundstage.
This isn't an SPL car, nor will it ever be.

I realize I'll need six amp channels for the speakers (plus sub).
And some sort of active crossover, and tuning by a good shop.
So, suggestions on that front would be excellent as well.

Last edited:
Yep, I've heard nothing but good about them.

The primary concern is high frequency extension off-axis since these will be dash mounted, firing straight up into the windshield.
As well as how it handles moderate to loud rock volume levels.

Right now it's down to the MarkAudio or the FaitalPRO 3FE25 3".

Well dang it.
I should have done this before posting.

I opened up my stock dash speaker openings and measured.
The 3.5" Alpair won't fit. They are actually 4.1" outside diameter which is too large for my stock openings even after slight modification.

Guess I'll be going with the Faital.
Thanks though.

Interesting coincidence... I almost made the same mistake, but in reverse: I would buy a Fountek FR89EX to use in my old vehicle dash (an Brazilian Chevrolet Omega 1994), but yesterday I read this post and decide to check the correct size with a ruler, rather than relying "on eye". I realized that Alpair 3.5" would be just the perfect fit! Bigger than FR89EX size, but less than 4" speakers needs... So I can use this 3.5" Mark Audio on my dashboard instead (maybe even the paper version, because I never park my car in sunlight or hot places).

you live in Brazil and the drivers will never be exposed to sunlight?

Not to sound alarmist, but I'd be a bit concerned about lifespan - IINM Mark was on record as recommending avoiding direct UV exposure will all this drivers.

You might even want to consider the Vifa TC9 - in fact about 40rs ago (yikes) I shoe-horned a pair of very similar sized model of theirs in the dash of a Volvo wagon. They were running strong when we traded up to our first family mini-van in the late 80s. Of course it was long enough ago that my math could be off, but they lasted for at least a good 10yrs.

BTW, while ours was a bit spartan, those 144 series were rugged with a capital R - even when used as a gravel hauler (maybe that's how my back got severely buggered up)

True, I live in Foz do Iguaçu, and here is very sunny (I lived in Curitiba and is the opposite: forget the sun...)
Most glasses absorbs UV, and my car only "sees" the sun in travels... I park my car only in home, "workplace" or parking lot without direct sunlight (to preserve old plastic internals; my car is becoming an "old Brazilian-market classic" here).
With doors slamming, is an trouble if the speaker is at trunk or doors; in dash/panel (my target position), the rear and front pressure received from cone is the same.
In my trunk I noticed some cone displacement in my actual speakers (Audio Nirvana Super 8") when I close doors, but it are "like new" since sep/2013 (no problems).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.