MTX Thunder2301

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are a few pics of the board. C131 was removed to take the pictures. Q201 is where I am seeing the puff of smoke.

Attachments

• mtx 2301.jpg
    mtx 2301.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 155
  • mtx 2301.1.jpg
    mtx 2301.1.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 147
  • mtx 2301.2.jpg
    mtx 2301.2.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 139
I agree. There seems to be no reason for it to cook. I had a thought, though. This one came in with the 2 voltage regulators on the heatsink fried. One was a 317T. The other was melted to the point that I couldn't read it. Do you think it could have been different and using a 317 is causing the problem? I ordered a new transistor that will be here today. I will replace it tonight and see what happens.

Well it turns out that it was suppose to be an LM337T. I replaced it and the transistor that cooked. Powered it up and another SMD transistor fried. I believe the owner is going to call it a wash on this one. But, just to try, I've emailed MTX to inquire about a schematic. Not much hope for that happening, though.

The transistor that failed is on the opposite side of the board. I will shoot a picture of it, this evening.

I wasn't expecting a response from MTX. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to send an email. I really never expect to find much in in the line of documentation on anything 12 volt. It's sad that a company can build a product but not provide support information for it. But that's another thread, I guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.