Volume control with rotary encoder and pushbuttons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I am trying to get the finial stages of my car pc figured out. My setup integrates a hidden pioneer deh-p6400 cd player (just for eq and volume control) and my tablet. Where I am getting stuck is with the volume control. It uses a rotary encoder and I would like to integrate my steering wheel controls for volume up and down too. The steering wheel control unit has 3 wires, one for volume up, volume down and a wire to connect power or ground through the switch. Is there a way I can use some logic chip to output the same binary signal needed when I press a push button either way? I will upload the schematic for the cd player volume control circuit. Any advice would help!

-Dustin

Attachments

• volume.jpg
    volume.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 345
I checked the encoder and it was pretty random for the frequency. I couldnt see a pattern. I think it was relitive to the speed I spun the knob. So I made a 555 timer astable mode circuit and outputed to 65Hz. I ran it off the cd players power and tried outputting the 5v 65Hz to the signal wires and it didnt change the volume. I didnt think the input voltage should be from the wire SWDVDD (pin11) do you? Do you think the output for volume down should be to Pin11 and volume up be RDTO (pin4)? Or is the power for the encoder pin 11 and depending on the binary out from the encoder to pin 4 changes the volume?

The thing about that encoder is when you have the dial on the bench it acts differently than you would expect from the diagram. Using an OHM meter on continuity setting, the side with 3 terminals will all be connected with one click of the rotation, the next click it is open.. etc. The side with 2 wires do not show they have any connection when rotating. I cant find an internal diagram of that encoder to figure out if theres more to it then just a rotational switch.

I'm assuming the schematic is the removable face plate for the radio? When you have tried using the steering wheel controls did you have the face plate attached as well? If you are trying to change the volume without the face-plate in place it looks like you need to put a 47 k resistor from pin 3 (CSENS) to pin 6 (DGND) on the stereo. Then connect your stering wheel controls to pin 9 (RDT0) and pin 7 (RDT1). Connect the third common wire to pin 6 (DGND). You might need to use a debounce circuit to clean up the signal from the pushbuttons.

The side of the dial with 3 wires is the ones showing shorted then open then shorted when rotated. I checked it using the center terminal which is ground. They are both shorted and both open at the same time. It isn't one or the other. The other side of the dial with the 2 wires, I cannot get any continuity to the side with the 3. I'm not sure how that's connected internally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.