Volume control with rotary encoder and pushbuttons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Opto-couplers would probably be the next best option for the steering wheel. You could try the relay to see if it will work. It would definitely work if you used a 555 to create a series of pulses instead of a single pulse for each button press.

A toggle-switch to select encoder or steering wheel controls may be the best option if the face is going to be hidden and rarely used.

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

I have the opposite problem to the OP.

I want to use the Radio Volume dial on the dash of my classic car to control the Pioneer DEHP88rs head unit volume (because it's easier to reach and the Pioneer dial also does programming if you press it - which is a PITA while driving)

I'd like to replace the old variable resistor pot behind the knob with a digital volume pot and run it through a Steering Wheel Adapter into the Wired Remote input on the headunit.

My problem is finding a 12v digital volume pot/controller which will "talk" to the adaptor. It must be rotary.

Do such controllers exist?

Am I chasing an impossibility?

Any advice much appreciated.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.