Bypassing factory amp and tweeters??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm pretty sure my '04 Nissan Sentra has a factory amp somewhere in the car. I'm assuming this because there is a small subwoofer in the back and two hidden tweeters in the front. I recently bought a 5-channel amp to hook up to my 4 aftermarket speakers and 1 12" subwoofer. I read on Crutchfield.com that you can simply hook your speaker wires from your amp to the speaker wires in the back of your stereo. Will I not be able to do this because the speakers would be wired to the factory amp? Assuming that is true, will the built in sub and tweeters not work after I disconnect the factory amp from my aftermarket stereo and connect the remote turn on from my new amp? Also, how would I go about installing new tweeters because the factory ones don't work anyways and it would be nice to hook them up in the same place as the old ones. Do you hook up tweeters to an amp channel or to the speakers? I have 2 RF 5.25" 40W RMS front door speakers w/ built in 1/2" tweeter dome and 2 RF 6.75" 45W RMS rear deck speakers w/ 1/2" tweeter. Sorry for the long post, I just have a lot of questions. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me! :)

So I'm pretty sure my '04 Nissan Sentra has a factory amp somewhere in the car. I'm assuming this because there is a small subwoofer in the back and two hidden tweeters in the front. I recently bought a 5-channel amp to hook up to my 4 aftermarket speakers and 1 12" subwoofer. I read on Crutchfield.com that you can simply hook your speaker wires from your amp to the speaker wires in the back of your stereo. Will I not be able to do this because the speakers would be wired to the factory amp? Assuming that is true, will the built in sub and tweeters not work after I disconnect the factory amp from my aftermarket stereo and connect the remote turn on from my new amp? Also, how would I go about installing new tweeters because the factory ones don't work anyways and it would be nice to hook them up in the same place as the old ones. Do you hook up tweeters to an amp channel or to the speakers? I have 2 RF 5.25" 40W RMS front door speakers w/ built in 1/2" tweeter dome and 2 RF 6.75" 45W RMS rear deck speakers w/ 1/2" tweeter. Sorry for the long post, I just have a lot of questions. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me! :)

Alright so, firstly can I have the exact make and model of amp you purchased, or, if you can tell me if it has high level inputs also, does your head unit (stereo) have any line level (RCA) outputs on it?

Pretty much its like this, if you have low level outputs on your head unit, then you run rca's from that to the 5 channel, then some wire from the 5 channel to your speakers, done deal. But if the head unit has only speaker level outputs, you need to run those to the high level inputs on the 5 channel, which if non-existant, you need high to low level converters to place in between the high level signal from you head unit and your 5 channel amp.

The tweeters should get hooked up to the door speakers, with a crossover in between (unless the tweeters already have crossovers on them). You might be okay with leaving them disconnected if getting a crossover and wiring it all up is more work than you want as those RF door speakers should be pretty clear as they are, but that's your choice.

If you do have a factory amp, you need to find out what its for, just for that stock sub, or for all of the speakers. Either way, I will warn you, it is a considerably large job to re-route all of those wires, from your head unit (or factory amp) to wherever your going to mount your 5 channel amp (presumably the trunk), as well as run power and all the signal cables for it all.

Last edited:
The amp is a Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D (Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D Compact 5-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com) and the receiver is a Sony CDX-GT575UP (Sony CDX-GT575UP CD receiver at Crutchfield.com). You can find the specs in the links to Cruchfield. I'm not sure if the amp has high level outputs or not, but I do know that the receiver has a 4-channel preamp output, but not a sub preamp output. Does this mean that I would have would have to use the converter and connect the sub to the rear speaker channel and then the front two speakers to the front channels? I planned on using 4 of the amp channels for my front and rear speakers and then 1 channel for my 12" sub. If I wanted to do this would I need to get a different receiver with the 4 rca speaker outputs and a sub preamp output (I still have time to return it)?

Update: I talked to the guys over at Crutchfield and I decided to order Sony CDX-GT710HD CD receiver at Crutchfield.com and return the other receiver. It's basically the same except it has 6 channels. Also, I did some research and discovered that my car does have a factory amp Rockford Fosgate Mobile Factory Installed Systems: Mitsubishi, Nissan, Suzuki, and Tesla Motors. Car Audio for Fanatics. - 2004-2006 SENTRA - Rockford Fosgate® . I want to bypass the factory amp. The factory amp turn on wire (blue w/ white stripes) is currently hooked up the receiver, could I just disconnect this and reconnect it to the remote turn on for my new amp and just rewire the speakers? Thanks for all of your help so far TheTubeAmper.

Why ask for help and then just blindly ignore it ?

because someone with zero knowledge always knows more than someone with years of experience.

Seen it all before.

I have a laugh when they come back to me and ask for help fixing their mistakes.

Funnier when I say, I don't know you'll have to fix it yourself :D
Yes, I really am that much of an ****............

because someone with zero knowledge always knows more than someone with years of experience.

Seen it all before.

I have a laugh when they come back to me and ask for help fixing their mistakes.

Funnier when I say, I don't know you'll have to fix it yourself :D
Yes, I really am that much of an ****............

I'm sorry but I'm not sure why everyone gets all bent out of shape when someone doesn't follow your every response and praise you for it at the same time.

I've done the same thing as the calebaspin and gotten the same complaints from many people like you guys.

You really need to understand where you are, and who you are, this is the internet, people can do however they please, and they don't know who you are, or what you know, and you shouldn't be so worried about your "expertise" being wasted. It seems people like you (despite being so knowledgeable) never stop to think, oh, Perhaps they weren't comfortable with doing all of that work, and just want to see if someone can suggest an easier way, considering they might not be the expert that you are. Why berate them with posts like what you did, they are free to do as they wish, and are allowed to use and discard whatever advice they choose to.

I'm sorry for ranting like this, but this really just brings up bad memories. When I first began posting on this forum nearly a year ago, I (god forbid) turned down some "expert" advice, and was bullied with so much of this garbage of "why ask if you don't care what we say" comments and garbage like that, that I almost left the forum entirely.

This is not how you show that your knowledgeable or passionate, its how you make yourself look bad and scare people away.

And to be more specific to your post, how exactly do you know his level of experience, and how might he know your level of experience. Some people, especially those who have never dealt with you before, might want to just hang back a bit, and make sure you actually know what your talking about before trying some advice that may be misleading, and well to put it simply, you haven't really instilled in my mind (I can't speak for anyone else) that your the person I want to be taking advice from.

Last edited:
Please, re read the thread from post one.
At what point did I post any of my thoughts on how this gentleman could proceed ?

My response was (and still is) a generic one in reply to Katieanddad.
Guess thats kinda why I quoted them, and have not made a direct reply to the OP or his situation.

Thank you and good night :)

I just got everything hooked up and installed after calling the nice folks over at Crutchfield and everything sounds great! Also, I appreciate people like TheTubeAmper who remember the fact that people like me are new to this kind of stuff and some advice doesn't help as much. Thanks for being such a nice guy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.