Going Headless

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy folks, I keep my head unit hidden in my car, which I use for long roadtrips where tunes/audio books/podcasts keep me sane. The only thing I use the head unit for is: 1) FM tuner (rarely used) 2) volume control 3) crappy built-in EQ (bass/treble) I'd like to reclaim the space where the HU is hidden while simultaneously upgrading to better components. I want to control bass and volume from the dash and I'd like to be able to switch between multiple analog inputs. I don't care about the FM radio. Should I go with a DSP? Some sort of EQ? Is there one device that can handle this for me or should I be looking for discrete components for those features? I'll pair it with a JL 700XD amp (currently using built-in crossovers), 2 stage fronts and an analog MP3 player.

I think the Clarion EQS746 is the tool for the job. This will give me volume control, bass control and the ability to switch between two analog inputs. I don't really want a full EQ on the dash, just volume/bass, but this thing is cheap and small enough to fit in my space. Any other solutions/products for what I want to do?

So the Clarion is on the way. I was double-checking specs and getting ready for the install and I just noticed ... the ESQ746 has 7v line out and my JL XD700/5 takes a 4v line in (max). The v2 amp takes 8v inputs but I am pretty sure mine is v1. What are the consequences of over-voltage on the amp's line-in? I did some searching for a technique to lower voltage. I couldn't find any cables / adapters to do this. The only thing I can think of is to solder a resistor into the RCA cable. I'm not too confident in this hack though. Opinions? Do I need a new EQ/line driver or can I salvage this setup?

Interesting. I'll have to check my sources to determine what their output voltages are ... but the Clarion EQ has a line driver. Doesn't that mean it will output consistent/higher voltage than the sources by raising them to 7v? In any event, what is the point of specc'ing an amp's line in at 4v (or upgrading it to 8v in the case of the XD700/5 v2) given what you said above? Thanks for the input

For high quality equipment, the output voltage is largely irrelevant.

The max input voltage is the greatest signal that the amp can take at the lowest gain before the amp is driven to clipping. You can drive 8v into most any 4v amp without damaging the circuit but the amp would have been driven into clipping at 4v (or less, depending on the settings on the amp).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.