Loud POP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

My system is making a LOUD pop sound when changing sources, turning on/off, turning vol up from zero.
I'll explain below the setup, history and my trouble shooting

I have a Pioneer P6900UB headunit, connected to 2 sony xplod XM475.
1 amp powers up the 4 door speakers, and the other powers up 2 rear 6x9s and my rockford punch.

when I first put in the system, It was all RCA wired, and worked perfectly, except only my front left channel (2 left doors) had a little pop sound when changing sources, turning unit on/off, turning volume up from 0.
I thought I could live with that, especially that all the system was bought second hand from various seller...I had no doubt that it was the HU, especially that it does the same when using the other amp.

Then all of a sudden the pop was too loud to stand, knowing that the front RCA out from the HU is faulty, I moved the front channels to High level inputs, and the pop was still there, only as low as it was previously, and that I could live with....again believing that its a faulty headunit.

all that was a year ago,
Yesterday, a LOUD pop came from my rear left speaker, I checked wiring and found that the wire out of the amp was loose, so I tighten, sound was gone.
Trip back home, functioning normally.

Then again today, the pop reappeared, as loud as before, from both speakers and the sub :S
checked wiring, all perfect, checked ground, everything...so I thought I'd leave it alone till I get back home, as I drove sound was gone...then I hit a street bump...Sound reappears....I suspected loose wiring.

Now I'm back home, with 3 hours of taking the whole system apart, and putting it back together, still sounds the same.
I'm still thinking it's the headunit...so trying to isolate the cause, and find a work around, I removed the remote power on going into the amp.
and with the headunit turned on, I connect the remote into the amp, and it works flawlessly.

I'm thinking this has to do with the remote on/mute signal from the head unit to the amp, weird enough it happens in one amp only.

I connected the remote wire to a relay inline with the amp, hoping that this will cause a delay in the power on signal, making the pop fade...but still no joy.

what are your thoughts on this?

Further to the above,
Since I already have high level inputs in the trunk, I tried connecting the remote from that, and still the pop exits with changing source, powering on/off
Does anyone know some sort of device that would delay the power on signal from the remote....I think that might be a good work around
Even though I'd like to know if it's really the Head unit or the amps that iscausing these pops

If the shield ground was open, the RCA shields likely contacted a 12v wire. When that happened, the center conductor may have also made contact with the 12v source and damaged the muting transistors.

A remote delay won't fix the pop when you change sources.

You are making perfect sense
But I doubt that they had been in contact with a 12v wire...All my +ve wires are well isolated.

Or maybe the transistors were burnt on their own, all this setup is pretty old now

The muting transistors aren't likely to fail on their own.

If the shield ground was open, the shields contacted a 12v source.

Maybe the damage wasn't done all at once.

Yes. One transistor pair per pair of RCAs.

It's also possible that there is a problem with one of the amps.

If you measure the DC voltage on the input RCA shields of both amplifiers, do you rean anything more than a fraction of a volt?

The muting transistors aren't likely to fail on their own.

If the shield ground was open, the shields contacted a 12v source.

Maybe the damage wasn't done all at once.

Yes. One transistor pair per pair of RCAs.

It's also possible that there is a problem with one of the amps.

If you measure the DC voltage on the input RCA shields of both amplifiers, do you rean anything more than a fraction of a volt?

I was able to identify the faulty equipment while testing the RCA shields voltage (didn't exceed 0.2V)
I noticed that the sub was moving in and out ( even though the headunit was on AUX source with no input).
I took out the sub's RCA, and still the sub was moving!!!!
I took out the rear speakers' RCA, then the sub stopped moving.
Putting in the sub's RCA, sub moves.
there is a voltage fluctuation on the sub output, and the rear speakers output from the amp.

that last i did, was try the RCAs in the amp i use for my front speakers, no POPs at all, i tried both rear and sub RCAs in my front amp, and they work flawlessly.

so it's definitely the amp, but do you think it's something that is fixable, or i will have to replace it? :S
I'm afraid that it was the headunit that caused it to blow....even though i doubt it, but you never know.

To clarify, only one amplifier has problems with the audio popping (and/or other problems) when ANY of the RCAs of the head unit are plugged into the rear input on that amp. ALL of the head unit outputs work perfectly when plugged into ANY of the inputs except for the rear input on one amplifier. Is that correct?

Push on the RCAs while looking at the connections on the bottom of the board. Do you see any connections broken like the one in the attached image?

The damage may not be as severe and may take a lighted magnifying glass to see the break due to all of the silkscreen in that area.

Attachments

• IMG_0180x.jpg
    IMG_0180x.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 64
To clarify, only one amplifier has problems with the audio popping (and/or other problems) when ANY of the RCAs of the head unit are plugged into the rear input on that amp. ALL of the head unit outputs work perfectly when plugged into ANY of the inputs except for the rear input on one amplifier. Is that correct?

Push on the RCAs while looking at the connections on the bottom of the board. Do you see any connections broken like the one in the attached image?

The damage may not be as severe and may take a lighted magnifying glass to see the break due to all of the silkscreen in that area.

Alright, let me try to explain without confusing you

My front left channel out is bad from the head unit.....this pops in any of the amps

My rear/sub RCAs pop only when connected to the faulty amp... (and as I explained they cause the sub (and probably the speakers) to move even with no signal from the head unit.
Connecting the rear/sub rca to the (front speakers) amp...works perfectly with no popping.

I will check the amp for any visible damage and let you know

Okay, This is going to drive me crazy.
Today I planned to take the amp out to physically inspect it, then i thought before i go ahead and remove it, to insert my remote wire, and RCAs, and try to move the RCAs and mess around with it physically to see if any apparent physical damage is noticed.

Guess what! the amp is working perfectly, moving the RCAs around doesn't do anything, and the amp is back to normal

I guess I'll have to monitor it and see!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.