Hifonics Zeus VII amp or Hifonics Zeus VIII amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I was looking to purchase either a Hifonics Zeus VII amp or a Hifonics Zeus VIII amp. I was told that the the Hifonics Zeus VIII amp used better components,better resistors,etc on the inside ,and a better heatsink. Are the hifonic VIII amps, the better amp overall. To me it does not matter if it is supposed to have better internal components ,and better heat sink ,if it does not sound as good as the version VII Hifonics Zeus amp.Do both of them sound exactly the same,with the exact same wattage output at 4ohm.Or is there truly a difference in sound quality.With one being better than the other. Thanks

I have repaired and rebuilt both and except for some minor differences like the power connector that melts on the VIII I dont think your going to hear or experience any difference between the two models. ZED was fairly consistent in his design philosophies, and his contract obligations. < He was contracted to build those for Hifonics back then >. And except for the power connector used on the VIII that I have personally seen melt down on several occasions I believe they were pretty much the same amp inside. Component quality was fairly consistent from ZED which helped build his name into the legend it has become. Hope this helps some...;)

PS Be-careful when folks tell you there is a SQ difference in an amp that was consistently built by someone like ZED. They are usually trying to sell you a bridge somewhere. both of these amps were rated the same because except for the case and the power connector that fails often on the VIII IMHO they are the same amp inside. ZED was a smart guy and he knew not to mess with what was considered one of the best amps available back then.

Last edited:
The older Hifonics amps had problems with leaking capacitors. Sometimes the damage was severe enough to have to cut part of the board away to make the amp usable. You need to see current photos of the amp that you intend to buy to see if the board is clean around the caps. They may have leakage but repair may be easier if there is no visible damage).

I've heard of people having problems with the clamps in the v8 amps. I have not seen that problem but if they fail/break, there's not much that you can do to replace them.

The series 8 amps also use the black modules for many of the components. These fail and are no longer available. The modules can be replaced by discrete components if you have the internal diagram for the modules (most have available diagrams).

I wouldn't think that there is much difference in sound quality if both are in good working order.

I'm assuming that you're using this on highs (not subs) since you're asking about SQ. If you're using it for bass, a class D amp may be a better choice.

Hi, Thanks for your responses. Sounds like the Hifonics VII and VIII should sound the same.Sounds like a person should definitely ask to see the internals before purchasing an amp.What do you do about the power connector if a guy has a good amp in good shape but the power connector is melted. Can you still hook up and use the amp or is it better to pass on the amp. A little off topic here ,but I am usually an oldschool alpine guy ,and run the alpine 3544 amps.I was thinking of moving up to the alpine 3545 amp,and then someone said that the hifonics Zeus amp would be more powerfull,and better sounding.Is this the case,or is it better to go with the alpine 3545. I've never heard any of the hifonics Zeus amps ,so I'm hoping someone can chime in to help me know for sure which one is the better sound quality amplifier.Thanks for every bodys help so far.

Perry is correct about the black modules that ZED used in the VIII model. ZED hybridized some components and unless you have the diagrams to replace then in hard wire, like he said they are irreplaceable in most cases.
Personally I preferred the VII model, no rarefied parts and no power connectors to melt down.
And I also agree with Perry that any amp this old your likely looking at needing to replace the wet caps if you want it to work like new and have a reasonable lifespan. I am doing exactly that on a McIntosh MC-2205 home amp right now and its 39 years old.
Perry's advice is always valid IMHO also. I am retired now so its been a while since a series VII or VIII have come across my bench..:wchair: lol lol lol...

I'd go with the hifonics. Some people love the 3545 but in my opinion, it's no better than average. The alpine uses a driver IC that, if it fails, is very difficult to find. There may be some available from Asia but there's a good change that it's not original and may not meet spec. The same applies to the power supply transistors. The hifonics uses parts that can be easily replaced. The power supply may need some modification to use newer FETs but it's not a complex modification.

No gain settings on Oldschool Hifonics VII amp

Hi, I was going back and forth with a guy about a Hifonics VII amp. I asked him if there were gain setting to turn up or down the volume output to the speakers, since the only dial I see on the amp,looks to just be a setting for something to do with voltage. When I asked him to hook some speakers up to it and report back to me.He said when he turned the dial. It made the speakers sound different,and that's all he said. What does it exactly do.,and Is there really no way to turn down the volume to your speakers to your liking. If not then won't you be getting the full 600 watts,as soon as you turn the stereo on.It sounds like a good amp,but isn't this a huge weak point, with no way to adjust the power. Thanks

This amp has ONLY one adjustment and it is input sensitivity levels or gain control so the amps input can be adjusted the head units output levels. Back when this was originally made HU's were just beginning to have higher then 2 volt output at full volume so the gains were 200 Mv to 2 volts RMS input sensitivity range. Modern Hu's will have 4 to 11 volts output depending and brand and quality levels of the HU. This higher output level allows for a lower noise floor install since the Hu can drive higher levels above the electrical noise floor of the car and the system. You sound unfamiliar with this info so I suggest you google search "gain setting car audio systems" for a info primer for you FYI you will need to know about this era of gear and same of the more typical install issues associated with almost any piece of car audio gear... ;)

It sounds like that one setting on the amp is just to match the voltage of my deck. Being the fact there is no other controls on the amp.It must run full bore,and then I start adjusting things down.My alpine amp has setting on the amp so I can turn it up or down.

This amp IS like your alpine amp. Alpine isn't doing anything different either. They both have single gain control knob to be adjusted to gain match the amp to the rest of your system. And you start by turning the gain on the amp all the way down to its lowest sensitivity of 2 volts RMS and the set your deck output and then if need be raise your gain on the amp.
Again I suggest you google search "amplifier gain setting " several sites will come up with thread posts and detailed info on HOW to setup a system properly.
Also google the model number of the amp in this thread and pictures and maybe even a original owners manual will come up and you will have all youir questions answered by the makers original installation instructions. Just like any other amp ever made out there.

Ok, I understand a little better now that you explained it that way ,and have done more reading. Also there is a guy on ebay that has the exact same name as you.1moreamp. Are you the same person.If so great oldschool alpine 7618 deck you are selling ,in great shape. I ran the oldschool 7390 back in the day,and it was top of the line as well. Thanks for your help.

I'm on ebay and all other forums under my 1moreamp name, but not selling anything, and I am no relation to Jim Lincoln located in Mississippi or involved in any of his business affairs which have a somewhat dubious history...Also he isn't old enough to actually know anything about the class of gear he prefess's to be so adept at.
Your not the first person to confuse me with him since he cloned my name so long ago. He also likes to quote my public thread posts also which I find annoying. < this also shows a lack of copyright law on his part also >. But since he has no real knowledge of the stuff he sells like I do. < I am almost 60 now.> He likes to read my thread posts on several forums and use the info gleaned in his sales pitches, since he is ignorant of this era of gear because he was in grade school back at that time. Anything else you need or want to know about him please consider sending me a PM. Its because of his actions I have maintained a diary of his goings on for several years now just in case any of his affairs try to spill over into my honest lifestyle.

Caveat Emptor! <buyer beware !> You have been warned !

Hi, I'm glad you cleared that up. He sounds like a shyster. Pretty pathetic he stole your name,and bottom feeds off of you, for his own personal gain. I like dealing with honest ,oldschool people, like yourself.That don't pretend to know,but do actually know. I myself miss the days of hardworking,honest people,with integrity like yourself. Too much of this staring down at your cell phone crap,instead of real world interaction.Pretty pathetic,when you see 2 people sitting across from each other in a restaurant. Just looking down at their phones,texting each other,when they could simply look up and talk directly to each other.Most of the kids today,think they have a good stereo,If the subwoofers make a little noise. In my stereo,people have to ask if I have subwoofers in my system,since they are blended so well.I will definitely not be dealing with people like him.Keep up the good work. Carey

I can link you to several other forums that are watching his every move and keep constant thread posts running about his ebay dealings. Good, bad or indifferent.

I can even google a space shot of his house for you. Since he emailed me before he infringed my name like he did, and I did an IP trace on him back to his front doorstep. < a three house cross road in the middle of nowhere out in the country side > I still have his email also, saved now going on some 9 years. I also have a couple of his victims emails and pictures of what he sold them. Since they came to me to ask for advice and help in repairing what he sold them. " A perfect amp with 4 inch holes drilled into the bottom of the case comes to mind as one of so his so called "Mint" items.

I even have a picture of his face being reflected back while he took a picture of a gold plated amp he had for sale on ebay. This is what triggered my background search on him, because in the picture I saw there was no way he was old enough to actually know what he was talking about, and he wasn't...;)

The world is a beautiful place to live in. Its the people that make it a difficult place to live. Identity theft is just one of the problems out there caused by people, not the world. I am old enough to know better then to let something like this go by without having due attention paid to it in self defense.:cop:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.