Orion 2150SX Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, i purchased a used orion 2150sx a couple of weeks ago and just found out that several of the output transistors (BJTs) and one Supply FET are kind of exploded. There are no burn marks on the PCB. I followed the threads about Orion Repair on this site with great interest and was wondering if somebody could help me with a schematic, otherwise i'll have to draw it from scratch which looks like a lot of work (double sided PCB and no part numbers - no fun).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
best regards,
Robert

That's one possibility, i just have the "feeling" of flying blind and if the repair gets probably more complex the time searching quickly outweighs the time "making" a schematic diagram and understanding all the parts (or modules) of the system.
Anyway, does anybody know if the BJTs are matched together, meaning should i replace all transistors or just the broken ones?

You gotta love orion amps. Finally finished drawing the schematic and started testing. In the PSU Section one driver is blown and in the amp section, Right channel, four 2n6488 and four 2n6491 are blown and the amp works like nothing happened!
Looked on the scope and everything is peachy.
I have a spare SMP60N06 and start ordering 6488 and 6491.

BTW: It could be of interest that Orion replaced the CEN-U07 / 57 Drivers and Pre-Drivers with 2SA1306B and 2SC3298B.

While i value your experience and your support, i just have five of the SMP60N06 left and they are hard to find. I guess i could switch to IRF1010E, but then i have to change all twenty, otherwise the transformer will probably saturate due to asymmetrical excitation (is that the right word?).
Unless you can point out a source for ten SMPs (for a reasonably price) i'll have to risk it.

If this is your amp, you can change only one. It may survive. If you're repairing this for a paying customer, replace all of the FETs in the power supply where one failed.

I use the IRF3205s in these amps when I repair them. I don't know what you have for suppliers in your area but the 3205s are inexpensive. Here, you can buy them for less than $1 each.

It shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes to replace all of the FETs in one supply. Removal is easiest if you do it as shown in the following video. It's best viewed if you right-click and save the link to your computer, then view it.
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/removingpartsfromolderorionamplifiers01.avi

I can get the IRF3205s for about €2.- but the have twice the current capability and less then half of the RDSon, isn't that overkill? I guess you can omit five per side and it would still be more reliable than the SMPs.
Anyway, it is my Amp and i don't plan on selling (i currently have three 2150SX and one 2250XTR) :)

BTW (offtopic) anybody know Orion EU2700? Is that anything like the 275sx for example?

I checked and the price I paid on the last order was $0.52 each. If the drive circuit can handle the load, there's no reason not to use them, especially when they cost no more than the original parts.

You probably noticed that this amp is PAM, not PWM. This means that the FETs will run hotter than PWM amps. Having a bit of extra capacity helps make the amp more reliable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.