Hifonics Zeus zrx-3000.1d Help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Perry. I'm in the process of repairing a Hifonics Zues zrx3000.1d and your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks. When I got the amp, all 12 power mosfets, 12 gate resistors, all 4 NPN/PNP transistors along with a additional resistor by the NPN/PNP transistors were fried. So far, i've replaced all 12 power mosfets(IRFP064N), 12 gate resistors(47 ohms), all 4 NPN\PNP transistors = 2(2SC3228) & 2(2SA1275) and 1(3.3k ohm resistor). After applying power, the green power light comes and I hear the relay click. Then after about 20 seconds, the green power light shuts off and one of the 12 power mosfets overheats and fails. So, I removed all 6 power mosfets from the side that failed and applied power and the power light stays green without any of the other 6 power mosfets overheating or failing. I'm trying to figure out what is causing the problem on this side where the mosfets were removed. I checked the voltages and they all match with the working side of mosfets. Could it be the driver board possibly? If so, should I install 6 good power mosfets back in and remove the driver board to see if the problem still exits. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pictures of Hifonics Zues zrx 3000.1d

Here are the pictures. Thanks Perry.

Attachments

• amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 235
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 217
  • amp4.jpg
    amp4.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 212
  • amp5.jpg
    amp5.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 203
  • amp6.jpg
    amp6.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 204
If only one power supply fet is getting hot, I would suspect that FET of being defective or a bad connection between the Gate resistor and gate leg of that FET.

Have you tried installing all of the power supply fets in the problem side except for the one that was heating up?

Are you sure that just one was heating and not the whole bank?

Have you moved the heating fet to a different location to see if the problem follows it?

If the amp is dragging the voltage down on the supply and is wasn't previously doing that, you need to find why it's dragging the voltage down. It's generally due to a shorted diode, shorted power supply FET or a solder bridge.

Of course, it depends on how your supply reacts to an overload. It could be that any load greater than it's rated current will cause it to shut down until the load is completely removed.

Does it drag the supply down before applying remote voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.