Old school Rockford Fosgate Power 1000c MOSFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've look over the posts over the last 18 months and Im always impressed w/the diagnostic skills you guys have. I fully intend to purchase Perry's $50 training program but at the moment im having some health problems from a MVA. I know you guys have an awesome knowledge of Rockford amplifiers, does anyone happen to have a schematic of the Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 MOSFET or know where I could get one ? If you have any other info that you could share I'd appreciate it. I've passed my amplifier onto an electrical engineer but he only has experience w/ADS amps. Please see attached pics, I though id start a thread I don't want to be rude but you guys are da men :)
e4ura4y8.jpg
2ugu3ehy.jpg
e9e9esy7.jpg
5ysy8uta.jpg
y6aqery6.jpg

I think tightened equally is more important. I dont go extremely tight but just beyond snug. I usually start in the middle and work my way out, kinda like you would do on a head gasket for an automobile.

There is no need to "reef" them down you can break the FETS, you just want them tightened evenly and enough to make sure the FETS are securely clamped down evenly with no air voids under them.

If you have an amp meter on your power supply, you can set it as shown in the following demo.
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/ausettingbias.swf

If you don't have an amp meter on your supply, you can set it by measuring the DC voltage across the 0.1 ohm source resistors. 0.001v across the resistors should be OK.

Make sure that all transistors are tightly clamped to the heatsink before you attempt to set the bias.

IRF542 = IRF540 (that's what I've used, anyway).

I have used the 540N's in many many Rockford amps with no issues. I would take Perry's advice and not order them though, this old beast can be temperamental. It would be a shame to cause more issues with using the "N" outputs.

Although I have put them in probably 40 or 50 amps and didnt have any issues, unless maybe I got lucky!!!

All channels finally making sound. One small problem remains, there is a little dc offset on 2 channels. One channel is .1 v, another is .07v. The other two are below .03 which is ok. Any thoughts guys ?

However I loaded all channels down to 5 ohm and drove the amp right into clipping ( max output) and no problem. Nice and stable waveform on all channels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.