rockford fosgate punch 800a2 non working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone! I got my self a nice project! A Rockford Fosgate punch 800a2 a amp I've dreamed of having of my own :D but it's not working.... When i apply power to B+ & GND just power no REM it puts my 10 amp power supply into protect so that indicates the power supply is shorted. I checked all 8 MTP75N05HD's and they measure a dead short on the sources. And on the sources i get a resistance of .715 on all 8 of the fets on the gates but the from drain to source they measure .000 and beeeeeeeep on my meter. I also checked the outputs IRF640s measure out fine in both channels and IRF9640s.

What could have cause the power supply to short?

Actually it's something with the transformer there's a smd resistor near by some of the legs of transformer where if I touch it will arch or move it around arch. I believe that's made the fets seem as if they were shorted but the amp still powers on. I removed it from the heat sink and it powered right on! Put it back in the sink it still powers on but of I touch or move the transformer it arch. I'll get a picture of where it sparks at.

Is problem common on these amps?

There seems to be some arching under the transformer amp actually works fine both channels but when you pull, twist the transformer it makes like a small spark by two of the legs of the transformer near that smd resistor.
and the amp had a broken gain pot on i believe was the left channel when i tried adjust it it made the speaker act weird and almost blew my kenwood book shelf speaker and then a smd cap blew right by the speaker terminal. I thought i fried the amp by the smell of what burned but was a smd component that burned up. I replaced the gain pot now that channel plays good i can adjust it and everything but im wondering if that part is important or what? please get back to me as what i can do for the transformer thing.. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0195.jpg
    DSCN0195.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0196.jpg
    DSCN0196.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.