Go Back   Home > Forums > >

a few questions on car audio. please help
a few questions on car audio. please help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 5th September 2003, 05:11 AM   #1
Dj Dfa is offline Dj Dfa  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas/Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Dj Dfa
Default a few questions on car audio. please help

Hey everyone! I'm new at this website and at audio. So if my questions seem somewhat stupid...well please stick with me and help me out!

Here goes...
First question, where can i find out what size box to make for a particular sub? even if i dont know the t/s parameters for the sub. would it be possible just to build a box to hold the sub and it would work? Also, if i wanted to port the box, and tune it to a certain frequency how do i find out what size the port should be and what size the box should be? What if i want the frequency to be 30hz or what if i want it to be 50hz...that kinda thing.

my next question....
I have a prestige amp that i got as a present, im not sure but it might be a 400 watt amp. its a single channel. When it was hooked up in my car, by a professional, it was wired to an Eclipse 10 in sub. with a nom imp. of 4 ohms. So i know the amp can handle the 4 ohms....How do i know if i wire it into something with 2 ohms, that i wont overheat the amp...I was also given two rockford fosgate 10 in subs. (4 ohms each)When i wired them parallel into the amp, it killed my car battery really quick. Is that because i was drawing too much current from the battery? What if i wire the two rock fos subs in series, that'd be a Req of 2 ohms...would i overheat the amp? Would that save the car battery? When the car was hooked up to the single 4 ohm it didnt kill the battery.

my last question is quick...
how do you wire two subs out of phase so they "push/pull". is that wired in series/parallel/or something else?

oh and my last question...
if you wire two subs in series, is the second sub supposed to recieve less power than the first? or did i just do a crappy wiring job? hehehe if ANYONE could help I would really appreciate it...also if anyone knows about this stuff or just wants to talk to me, you can IM on AIM at DjDfa (please do! even just to chat!)

Thanks, Max
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2003, 11:03 PM   #2
thylantyr is offline thylantyr  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Mars
This is my favorite place to talk about car audio.
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2003, 02:55 AM   #3
AudioFreak is offline AudioFreak  Australia
Warp Engineer
On Holiday
 
AudioFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Queensland, Australia
a few questions on car audio. please help
Default Re: a few questions on car audio. please help

Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Dfa
Here goes...
First question, where can i find out what size box to make for a particular sub? even if i dont know the t/s parameters for the sub. would it be possible just to build a box to hold the sub and it would work? Also, if i wanted to port the box, and tune it to a certain frequency how do i find out what size the port should be and what size the box should be? What if i want the frequency to be 30hz or what if i want it to be 50hz...that kinda thing.
Can you tell us what type of sub you have?

Quote:
What if i wire the two rock fos subs in series, that'd be a Req of 2 ohms
Would be 8 ohms not 2 ohms

Quote:
my last question is quick...
how do you wire two subs out of phase so they "push/pull". is that wired in series/parallel/or something else?
Either. Phase is determined by reversing the +ve and -ve leads on 1 of the drivers.

Quote:
oh and my last question...
if you wire two subs in series, is the second sub supposed to recieve less power than the first? or did i just do a crappy wiring job?
If both subs are the same, they should receive the same amount of power.
__________________
- Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 03:46 PM   #4
BabaBooey is offline BabaBooey  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Orleans, LA
Send a message via AIM to BabaBooey
I wouldn't recommend wiring one sub out of phase with the other unless you're going with an isobarik setup. It's a recipe for cancellation.
  Reply to this post

Reply


a few questions on car audio. please helpHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ER Audio ESL III Kit, and ESL questions in general wixy Planars & Exotics 27 30th July 2014 12:14 AM
Trends Audio TA-10 Questions echomancer Class D 7 24th December 2007 02:53 AM
Questions about M-Audio Firewire 410 theAnonymous1 Digital Source 2 2nd September 2007 05:31 PM
Basic PC Audio Questions serengetiplains Digital Source 2 17th May 2007 04:13 AM
Some questions regarding this audio schematic MC Analogue Source 1 28th February 2005 09:28 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki