orion 225 hcca digital reference problem!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a orion 225 hcca digital reference got it from a friend who had it in his garage packed away so i bought it from him when i power it up it got hot. the cover when i got it was plexi so u can see straight into the amp an i noticed one of the resistor turnin white as the amp began to get more hot. i turned it of quickly fearing i might do more damage mind you that i olny put power on the amp not speakers or a signal in i tokk out the plexi an everything in the amp was real hot transformer caps transistor everything is this a normal thing wit this amp or those it hav a major problem i wil change the resistor an try again but if u can giv me sum info bout this amp i wil be so greatfull since i dont hav the manual an the amp look as if its new oh one more thing i connected it direct to a battery with out a fuse is that a bad thing do i have to spend alot of money behind this amp please help!

Well your problem could be just isolated to the power supply section if the amp has been sitting for a long time, the capacitors may have gone bad.

Take a couple of pics of the internal circuit board. And a pic of the outer amplifier so that we know which generation 225hcca we are talking about.

:( i not gettin the original resistor to replace the one that turned gray white i got two the parts guy say i can use but the amp has 0.2 1 watt an i got 0.2 2watt an a 0.27 1 watt i dont know which is a better replacement oh i dont know how to load pics but i can get u a vid wit a guy who shows 1 it on you tube heres the link copy n paste YouTube - Old School Cheater Car Amplifiers - Orion, Rockford, Phoenix Gold and PPI - 1080p thanks for the help no he didnt hav any problems wit the amp. do these amps normally get so hot a guy told me they do i dont know wat can i do change the risistor or run the amp as is an see if it works or change the risistor an try it

i think it was best for me to carry the amp by a tec to be fixed an i did he took a quick check an said that amp havin trouble to start up so probally some transistors wants changin out i wil let u all know what he says whats the problem for sure an maybe u guys can say if that could of been the problem oh could u share with me what do you think i should run this amp if i should run it @4ohms or @2ohms 0r @1ohm an what should i expect from this amp rms wise at said impedence again i am so greatful for your help thank you again

The ratings are as follows:
stereo
25x2 @4ohm
50x2 @2ohm
100x2 @1ohm
200x2@.5ohm

Mono
100x1@4ohm
200x1@2ohm
400x1@1ohm

As for what to run it at?? The lower the ohm load the harder and hotter the amp will run. A lot of people back in the day would run them at 1 ohm mono to get the most power out of it. Which was usually to a set of Orion XTR 12's dual voice coil speakers.

Hope this helps.

thanks all i got d amp fixed it blow outy 2 out put transistors an a resistor d tec say not to run the amp at mono an only 4ohm stereo but i not sure i want the most from this amp but i dont want any damage plus the parts was subsitute not original so wat do u recommend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.