Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

orion 225 hcca digital reference problem!?
orion 225 hcca digital reference problem!?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2011, 10:38 PM   #1
frogq is offline frogq
diyAudio Member

Question orion 225 hcca digital reference problem!?

i have a orion 225 hcca digital reference got it from a friend who had it in his garage packed away so i bought it from him when i power it up it got hot. the cover when i got it was plexi so u can see straight into the amp an i noticed one of the resistor turnin white as the amp began to get more hot. i turned it of quickly fearing i might do more damage mind you that i olny put power on the amp not speakers or a signal in i tokk out the plexi an everything in the amp was real hot transformer caps transistor everything is this a normal thing wit this amp or those it hav a major problem i wil change the resistor an try again but if u can giv me sum info bout this amp i wil be so greatfull since i dont hav the manual an the amp look as if its new oh one more thing i connected it direct to a battery with out a fuse is that a bad thing do i have to spend alot of money behind this amp please help!
Old 18th May 2011, 02:26 AM   #2
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

Well your problem could be just isolated to the power supply section if the amp has been sitting for a long time, the capacitors may have gone bad.

Take a couple of pics of the internal circuit board. And a pic of the outer amplifier so that we know which generation 225hcca we are talking about.
Old 18th May 2011, 02:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Did your friend say that the amp had any problems before you bought it?
Old 18th May 2011, 03:42 PM   #4
frogq is offline frogq
diyAudio Member

i not gettin the original resistor to replace the one that turned gray white i got two the parts guy say i can use but the amp has 0.2 1 watt an i got 0.2 2watt an a 0.27 1 watt i dont know which is a better replacement oh i dont know how to load pics but i can get u a vid wit a guy who shows 1 it on you tube heres the link copy n paste YouTube - Old School Cheater Car Amplifiers - Orion, Rockford, Phoenix Gold and PPI - 1080p thanks for the help no he didnt hav any problems wit the amp. do these amps normally get so hot a guy told me they do i dont know wat can i do change the risistor or run the amp as is an see if it works or change the risistor an try it
Old 18th May 2011, 04:11 PM   #5
frogq is offline frogq
diyAudio Member

the guy in the vid said that this amp can go down to 0.5ohm stereo is that true
Old 18th May 2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Post a photo of the resistor that's getting hot.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes the amp will run@.50 ohms, but that this load is when this amplifier get extremely hot. Without any speakers connected the amp should NOT get hot or burn any internal parts. Do you have a camera?
Old 20th May 2011, 02:31 PM   #8
frogq is offline frogq
diyAudio Member

i think it was best for me to carry the amp by a tec to be fixed an i did he took a quick check an said that amp havin trouble to start up so probally some transistors wants changin out i wil let u all know what he says whats the problem for sure an maybe u guys can say if that could of been the problem oh could u share with me what do you think i should run this amp if i should run it @4ohms or @2ohms 0r @1ohm an what should i expect from this amp rms wise at said impedence again i am so greatful for your help thank you again
Old 21st May 2011, 02:40 AM   #9
warpedhifi is offline warpedhifi  United States
diyAudio Member

The ratings are as follows:
stereo
25x2 @4ohm
50x2 @2ohm
100x2 @1ohm
200x2@.5ohm

Mono
100x1@4ohm
200x1@2ohm
400x1@1ohm

As for what to run it at?? The lower the ohm load the harder and hotter the amp will run. A lot of people back in the day would run them at 1 ohm mono to get the most power out of it. Which was usually to a set of Orion XTR 12's dual voice coil speakers.

Hope this helps.
Old 21st May 2011, 03:51 PM   #10
frogq is offline frogq
diyAudio Member

thanks all i got d amp fixed it blow outy 2 out put transistors an a resistor d tec say not to run the amp at mono an only 4ohm stereo but i not sure i want the most from this amp but i dont want any damage plus the parts was subsitute not original so wat do u recommend

orion 225 hcca digital reference problem!?Hide this!Advertise here!