Which type of enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me what type of enclosure I should use for an Audiobahn Alum12N? It has the following T/S parameters:

Fs 24.4 Hz
Qts 0.56
Qes 0.51
Qms 4.9
Vas (Cu. Ft.)2.66 Cu.Ft
Re 5.4 ohms
Le 2.7 mH
Mmd 186 Grams
Xmax +/-14 mm
RMS 1000 Watts
Sd 0.049 M2
Freq. Resp. 18Hz-500Hz
Efficiency 96.4 dB

Ideally I'd like to use a ported box, tuned to around 38hz, 1.5 cf per chamber, but have no idea how the driver would respond in it. Any suggestions?

Can anyone tell me what type of enclosure I should use for an Audiobahn Alum12N?

Qts 0.56
Qes 0.51
Efficiency 96.4 dB

Ideally I'd like to use a ported box, tuned to around 38hz, 1.5 cf per chamber, but have no idea how the driver would respond in it. Any suggestions?

Well, Qes cannot be less than Qts, and if you reverse them, the calculated sensitivity is 86dB. These want a sealed box, and 1.5 cubes is about right.

I downloaded WinISD and entered the speaker parameters in. (Qts should have been 0.47 btw, all other parameters are correct).

It shows a 1.4cf sealed box to have an F3 of 37.14hz, the rest of it is fairly linear, where it flattens around 62 hz at 0db gain.

The ported box at 1.45cf tuned to 38hz peaks around 50hz at +4.9db. Is this the "boom" you describe, meaning it is very loud over a narrow frequency range? How "boomy" would this be? Gain falls off to 0db around 37.5hz, and F3 is near 33.5hz.

Recipe for disaster, or does it look like this ported enclosure may have decent sound quality? Sorry for the beginner questions! I suppose if I don't like it, I could just close off the port to make it sealed...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.