Anyone upgrade the audio in a Ford Probe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of my was a audio nut. ill see if i can find my pictures in a week or so of the several setups he had. in his for probe gt. In the end he had a 15" rock-ford sub in a specially mad box via rock-ford rep. he had 2 kick panels in the front and a center channel. i think he was running 1500 watts to the 15" and 70 or 1150 to each front kick panel. he had the Rockford famous eq. ( cant remember the name of it. ) there was lots more ill see if i can dig up some pictures. oh and the deck was a alpine. hi end.. ohh hehe symmetry that's it. the amps i believer where phenix gold hi end series tooo.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18799&goto=newpost

Assuming you're using the factory head unit:
A GT should have the Premium Sound system, right? If you have the factory CD player, great. If not, the AM/FM cassette unit has an output/input loop for a CD player (does require an outboard switch.) The neat thing about the Premium Sound head unit is its true balanced preamp output. About 400mV per side, expecting about 4kohm amplifier input, IIRC. I have it written down somewhere, if that sounds like an interesting option.

Seems like the factory amp is under one of the front seats. Silver, about 6" square or so. If there's room for a 50Wx4 amp where it's mounted, that would simplify installation quite a bit. All the signal/speaker wires are already there.

The 5¼ door locations are big enough to allow many 5¼ or 6½'s to fit, if not too deep. I have no recollection of how deep they can be, but the factory speakers are about 1½" deep. Rear speakers are 6x8's, best upgraded with a decent 6½. Don't spend a lot on speakers for the rear factory locations, they don't lend themselves to great sound.

In short, get a good pair of 5-6" component speakers for the doors, and a lesser pair of 6" for rear fill. It would be worth trying to enclose the rear speakers to help them out. A modest subwoofer in the back would be a welcome addition.

If this sounds on target and you'd like more details/suggestions, ask or email.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.