Fixing a broken pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a older model jensen amp. A ka-3 that has been a good little amp. Till today it went into protect mode. Which I hope came from the pot breaking off the board. It doesn't have much of prongs to solder it back on as I tried.

Trying to figure out what to use to fix this thing. As the pot looks to say b30k on the side. Looks like it was stamped a few times. But it is for the bass boost on the sub side of the amp. Any help would be nice.

Hoping to maybe pick one up a radioshack or something. It doesn't have to be the same length or have the teeth on it for the knob I guess. But has to be the rectangle type pot not a circle one. Thanks for any help:D

I think that is all. It will come on thump. It played once for a sec. Then goes in protect mode. Inside the amp looks brand new. Nothing burned or anything. When it did play for a sec you could tell the bass boost was loud as crap. Should I check anything else. If so what would I look at?

I can snap a picture of it if that would help.

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349-1.jpg

DSC00351-1.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

First pictures is where it is broke then the last is a shot of the board. Sorry not really clear. Someone broke my hd sony cybershot. So I had to buy another cyber shot that is retarded. Have yet to figure out all the settings.

Are you meaning the pads for the one that broke off or other pot beside it?

The one that broke off. Two prongs are hooked together on the solder pad. The two to the right in the top pic. The other is spaced a hair. As for speaking of the other pots they are spaced out. Unless you are asking where it traces to. I would have to look.

If the two pads nearest the other pot are connected together by a trace, connect all 3 pads together and power up the amp to see if it goes into protect mode. You should have all semiconductors clamped tightly to the heatsink when you power up the amp. If you don't and there is a problem, significantly more damage could be done.

Um in the top 2 pics if you look. They are the very top most left pads. Not including the first one. Just the 3 to the left from there. As for the next pot. It is two stips over to the right from the solder pads on the broke off one. Then is those 6 close together dots from the looks of it. If you follow those down. They appear to hook to the square bad at the bottom.

So where should I do as you said? Also the amp still powers up. When it does green light is on. It bumps the subs for a split sec as it goes into protect mode.

It works again :) I took the broken pot and soldered 3 wires to the itty prongs that was left. Then to the board. I then glue the pot upside down to the board for the time being. Plays just fine.

My ? is where can I get a pot or can I solder a wire across the pads or add resistors or something to have the bass boost like 3/4's or something along those lines. Thanks for the help :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.