Bought another Alpine 7909....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This time its the limited 30th anniversary model. :) #265/300

33884780086_large.jpg

33884780084_large.jpg

33884780079_large.jpg

33884780085_large.jpg

33884780080_large.jpg

33884780083_large.jpg

33884780081_large.jpg

Last edited:
Suckers born everyday.

CD players are the new tape deck for the car world. It really makes no sense these days to have a CD player in a car.

And apparently the newborn suckers are convinced that CD's are no longer worthy of a decent system.

It makes perfect sense it you have a lot of CD's and a great CD player.

I still have my Nak TD-700 cassette deck, too.

... but to be able to listen to a lot of random music without wearing my cd's out I usually use the drives.

One reason why CD's are being phased out by consumers - durability.

...unless you own two 20 year old cars like myself.... ;)

Yeah, that is not why you bought it...proven especially in an announcement thread. ;) Things that are shown off usually get stolen BTW.

And apparently the newborn suckers are convinced that CD's are no longer worthy of a decent system.

It makes perfect sense it you have a lot of CD's and a great CD player.

Incorrect assumption. CD's are cumbersome and less attention to changing music is safer while driving. What is this worthiness? I am not the one drooling over electronic gear.

It makes more sense that if you have lots of CD's they are archived in a smaller package when space is at a premium in a vehicle. A large percent of the population have moved to personal storage devices such as IPods and similar devices.

Incorrect assumption. CD's are cumbersome and less attention to changing music is safer while driving. What is this worthiness? I am not the one drooling over electronic gear.

Perhaps if you drooled a little, the right side of your brain would kick in:D.

Personally, I find scrolling through 100+ files on a single device -or ANY sort of menu- waaaaay more distracting and dangerous. Stick in a CD, I have a dozen tracks to choose from and I can do it without taking my eyes off the road.

As to durability, just rip a copy and store the original CD.

Worthiness, as in up to quality standards. I see that your argument was in reference to convenience and durability and not in reproduction quality.

Personally, my #1 requirement for a source is an analog preamp. I am fully aware that isn't everyone's opinion.

It makes more sense that if you have lots of CD's they are archived in a smaller package when space is at a premium in a vehicle. A large percent of the population have moved to personal storage devices such as IPods and similar devices.

And a large percentage of the population cares less about fidelity.

5 CD's = what, 6 hours of music? 5 CD's don't take up much space. I have a dozen in my glove box.

Yes, a new era has emerged. Yes, the new generation is accustomed to convenience we couldn't imagine 25 years ago. Yes, they will be more likely to prefer the storage they are accustomed to. Heck, I keep a flash drive in my pocket at all times for data transfer.

It doesn't mean that CD's in a car make no sense.

And I don't expect or intend to sway your opinion, durwood. Just offering the flip side so those who may read along know that there are other opinions.

Personally, I find scrolling through 100+ files on a single device -or ANY sort of menu- waaaaay more distracting and dangerous. Stick in a CD, I have a dozen tracks to choose from and I can do it without taking my eyes off the road.

Playlists. Learn to use them. There are other user interfaces well, that are left up to the imagination. Perhaps you should use the right side of your brain more to find your own userface that suits your needs? :p

As to durability, just rip a copy and store the original CD.

Harddrive/thumbdrive, etc etc. Done.

Worthiness, as in up to quality standards. I see that your argument was in reference to convenience and durability and not in reproduction quality.

There have been controlled studies done the indicate there is no statiscially significant result proven people can tell a difference.;) Encoding schemes are rather intelligent and improve the more we learn about the human brain. I would rather bitch that many modern day recordings are destroyed the second they hit the shelf or when someone puts their own creative touch during the production process.

Personally, my #1 requirement for a source is an analog preamp. I am fully aware that isn't everyone's opinion.

So do you plan on putting a reel to reel or record player in your car? At some point you have accepted digital into your life as it is more practical, someday you will be even more accepting I predict-you have already accepted carrying around flash drives over CD's for data.

And a large percentage of the population cares less about fidelity.

Depends on what your definition of "fidelity" is. I think a large majority perfers some type of HT over boombox/TV speakers for entertainment.

5 CD's = what, 6 hours of music? 5 CD's don't take up much space. I have a dozen in my glove box.

That is not a convient place for them if you wanted to change one out.

Yes, a new era has emerged. Yes, the new generation is accustomed to convenience we couldn't imagine 25 years ago. Yes, they will be more likely to prefer the storage they are accustomed to. Heck, I keep a flash drive in my pocket at all times for data transfer.

It doesn't mean that CD's in a car make no sense.

And I don't expect or intend to sway your opinion, durwood. Just offering the flip side so those who may read along know that there are other opinions.

I'm sure we can go back and forth all day on this.

The meat or the point of all this:

I'll bet that the extra $500+ spend on this cd player could have been more wisely spend improving the acoustics end of a car audio install that will yield a higher quality listening experience and polls mean nothing other than popular opinion.

Acoustics > electronics

Last edited:
**** if had my way I'd have a record player in my car... the hell with digital.. Just like I'd take Tubes over transistors any day of the week!!! I know one thing... My system wound sound better than any digital garbage.. can anyone say Trunk full of vinyl !!!.. As far as I'm concerned this supposed " better" technology is the same old ****.. they make it smaller cheaper and it sounds smaller and cheaper...analog all the way!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.