Hifonics zeus gen x

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wondering if anyone has pics of the power supply section of this amp?

I recieved this amp in bad condition there is caps missing, and the gate resistors have been cobbled.

The board says 75 ohm resistors but i think they put a differnt value in them during production

There are 1/8 watt and a 1/4 resistor tied together in the amp right now and the value is 240 ohms so wondering if anyone knows what value the gate reisitors need to be

The gate resistors have nothing to do with the speaker load. If they're too high in value, they FETs will likely fail even without a speaker load. The 75 ohm resistors should be a safe value.

When you get the amp up and running, make sure the idle current isn't excessive. If it doesn't seem excessive, turn the DC voltage on the power supply down to ~11v. If the idle current increases when you reduce the DC voltage, there is a problem. If the idle current remains the same or decreases when you lower the DC voltage, everything is likely OK.

Hi Perry,

I opened up a Hifonics gen x thor amp and they are running the same fets as the zeus but the gate resistors that they used in that amp(thor) are 47 ohm

Says the same on the board 75 ohm but right from the factory they had 47 ohm gate resistors in it.

Wondering if i can put the 47 ohm gate resistors in the zeus amp and be fine

Ok I talked to one of the designers on this amp and he said the 47 ohm gate resistors wont work it will turn the amp on the supply to fast and wont shut down fast enough or something like that. And he said ill get whats called a crossfire in the supply.

He said he couldnt remember what they used but it ws either a 220 ohm or a 240 ohm resistor for the gates

Wondering what would be better the 220 or 240 ohm?

There's virtually no way for the 220 ohm resistors to work. You stated that you opened an amp that used the same FETs and used 47 ohm resistors so it's obvious they will work.

I think he meant cross-conduction which is more likely to occur with a gate resistor with too much resistance.

In some amps, there are resistors connected to the gate resistors that can have values between 100 and 220 ohms. These are pull-down resistors.

What FETs are being used in this amp?

yes this is a zed made amp heres a pic of the gates some one put in =240 ohms. I think they are suppose to be 220 ohm resistors since he was talking about the dead time and telling me the reason they used so high of a value in them is to slow down the supply like the amp wont turn on so fast

If the rail capacitors are rated for 75v or less, the MUR815 may work (it's rated for 150v). The original is rated for 600v. The replacement doesn't need to be rated for 600v but should be rated for at least 2x the rail voltage (measured rail to ground).

If you can get the amp to power up, you can measure the rail voltage. Measure from the positive rail to a non-bridging speaker terminal and from the negative rail to a non-bridging speaker terminal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.