Help with Power Acoustik A3000db Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm trying to repair my PA A3000db. The power supply transistors were all destroyed so I will replace those 16. I checked the resistors in parallel and they are all within tolerance. The output transistors checked out fine except for 2, so I will replace those. Resistors checked out fine.

Two out of the five larger capacitors are bulging at the top, so should I replace all 5?

Also it looks like the black stuff from the outside of all the capacitors melted and got everywhere. Is there any way to remove this?

In general how do you figure out which are the driver transistors? I want to replace them.

Is there anything else I should check before ordering parts?

Thanks for the help.

CIMG0295.jpg

Hello, I'm trying to repair my PA A3000db. The power supply transistors were all destroyed so I will replace those 16. I checked the resistors in parallel and they are all within tolerance. The output transistors checked out fine except for 2, so I will replace those. Resistors checked out fine.

**** You need to replace all 10.

Two out of the five larger capacitors are bulging at the top, so should I replace all 5?

**** Does the bulging top go down then pop back up if you push on it?

Also it looks like the black stuff from the outside of all the capacitors melted and got everywhere. Is there any way to remove this?

**** That's fixative. It's there to prevent the caps from breaking their solder connections.

In general how do you figure out which are the driver transistors? I want to replace them.

**** Driver transistors for which transistors?

Is there anything else I should check before ordering parts?

**** Does the fan turn freely?

**** Does it operate with zero vibration?

**** If you stop it repeatedly, does it restart?

**** Q124 and Q125 need to be replaced. Replace them with MPSW42s.

**** Do you see any powdery substance where the windings overlap on the output filter inductors (see attached)? You may need to use a lighted magnifying glass to see it.

Attachments

• insulationwearthrough01.jpg
    insulationwearthrough01.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 297
**** Does the bulging top go down then pop back up if you push on it?
No, it doesnt really push down, and one of them feels really loose and is able to turn.

**** Driver transistors for which transistors?
How do you know which ones need to be replaced in a situation like this. (Q124 and Q125 in this example)

And the fan looks fine.

**** Do you see any powdery substance where the windings overlap on the output filter inductors (see attached)? You may need to use a lighted magnifying glass to see it.
Not really powdery. But there is a yellow substance that looks like flux under the windings.

If the plastic tops don't go down then pop back up, the cap may be swollen. You'd need to remove the plastic disc on top of the cap to see if it has vented or is bulging. Don't remove any more of the shrink-wrap from the cap than necessary to get the plastic disc out (see attached).

If you see something like the powder shown in the photo, the enamel is wearing through. This is often the reason the outputs fail. You need to get an insulator in-between the windings. I use 80lb test dacron fishing line. Get it around the winding (1 or 2 strands) and pull it up into the tightest place between the windings.

I believe that Q124 and Q125 need to be replaced because they virtually always need to be replaced when the outputs fail. Even when the outputs haven't failed, they often need to be replaced.

Attachments

• ttventedcapacitors02x.jpg
    ttventedcapacitors02x.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 272
"The power supply transistors were all destroyed so I will replace those 16."

I know this post is old, but I have one of these and all 16 power supply transistors are blown, do you know what I can replace them with as all of them are not readable?

Thanks

Good afternoon all i know this may not be the right place but still its worth a try. I am repairing a powerbass asa1000.1 mono block which is similar in internal construction to the boss 3000 amps. the driver board as well is similarly constructed but uses more components and some are slightly different. however my problem is that two resistors R185 and R184 are both burnt beyond recognition. I was able to compare the board to a boss driver board to successfully replace all the other burnt resistors but the boss dos'nt carry those resistors so i dont know what values to replace them with. Can anyone please help? I've added a photo of the board if it can help

Attachments

• 20180914_125936.jpg
    20180914_125936.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.