Crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's see... I have an old school audio control 3xs crossover set up for 33 pfm, 70hz lp, 90hz rear, and 120hz front. That being said, I just bought a Pioneer DEHP6100BT head unit and a Rockford Fosgate P3 for my girlfriend's birthday. Now, the part where I need advice: I have a very old school US AMPS USA-400. This does not have a crossover. The head unit; however, does contain crossovers. Should I simply use the head unit's cross over function for the subwoofer?

Now here's the rub, I was thinking about expanding on her system and adding some nice drivers (most likely morel mw164). I wasn't going to add them if I didn't install the crossover. I have the Focal K2S and JL 300/4V2 to power those.

Nice stuff!

I'm not the expert on new head units, but I'd be really surprised if the 3xs was not a better filter. If the Pioneer's sub out has variable crossover frequencies, I'd use it temporarily to determine the best sounding crossover point, and plug that into the 3xs.

Hypocritically (sp?), I think the Morels and Focal/JL's too nice to leave laying around. Use them!

The 3xs uses DIP headers with resistors to set the filter points. If you don't have the manual, it's not hard to figure out the formula to calculate the necessary resistance for a desired frequency.

BTW, that USA-400 is a hefty amp. Give it adequate current and you'll be rewarded.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.