Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help with amp repair
Help with amp repair
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2009, 02:37 AM   #1
yobobrox is offline yobobrox  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with amp repair

Alright, I've been lurking here for a few months trying to figure out what to do with my damaged Kicker KX700.5 and I've finally caved in and registered so I can ask for some help. I've read over a lot of Perry Babin's site, and I've read a lot of posts, but I'm not sure what to do next...

My amp was attacked by rainwater that leaked into my trunk somehow. Now, it's stuck in protection mode. So, I pulled it open and found (what I think is) a FET that was highly corroded, along with a few tiny resistors. Nothing else appears to be affected. I cleaned the corrosion off with acetone and alcohol. Then, I tried powering up the amp without any speakers attached and it still went straight to protection mode. I have a DMM, and I tried testing some FETs and resistors, but got pretty mixed up and wasn't sure if I was even identifying FETs properly. I'm hoping someone here can give me some tips on what to do....it's a bit overwhelming.

Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you send me a few photos off the damaged area and one showing the overall layout?

babin_perry@yahoo.com
Old 27th May 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Absolutely; coming up within an hour.
Old 27th May 2009, 06:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

When checking the power transistors (those mounted to the heatsink), you should not read anything near 0 ohms between the legs of any individual transistor. Did you have any that read near 0 ohms?
Old 28th May 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ah, ok. That was where I was getting confused. I wasn't sure if polarity of the meter mattered or if I was supposed to be testing between all the legs (giving 3 combinations to test for a 3 legged part).

Alright, I tested them again and found around 5 that read ~0 ohms. I'm going to try more cleaning of the board around them (one is on the bottom row of transistors, and the others are on the top row), but I imagine that they are toasted. If so, I just read the numbers off the part and purchase replacements? Where do I purchase replacements? And do they all have to be the same batch? I read something about problems between batches, but I didn't understand it all.
Old 28th May 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What are the numbers on the ones that appear shorted.
Old 28th May 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I said that backwards - one is on the top of the board and the rest are on the bottom. I can point them out in pictures if needed.
Old 28th May 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What are the numbers on the ones that appear shorted.
Old 28th May 2009, 08:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I can't figure out what the deal is, but I got different readings on several of the transistors today (checked out OK today). Anyway, I desoldered 4 of them that all read zero ohms across the two outside legs. The part numbers are:

Top Row, 5th from right:
YG225N2
(NPN diagram)

Top Row, 6th from right:
YG225C2
(PNP diagram)

Bottom Row, 5th from right:
YG225N2
(NPN diagram)

Bottom Row, 6th from right:
YG225C2
(PNP diagram)
Old 28th May 2009, 08:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Those are the rectifiers. The outer legs are shorted by the transformer windings when they're in the board. That's normal.

Are any others shorted?

Help with amp repairHide this!Advertise here!